- Ames, IA
- Site Type:
- Art Works, Sculpture and Bas Relief
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Christian Petersen
Christian Petersen created this sculpture “The Gentle Doctor” out of terra cotta in 1937-38. Both the original and a bronze copy are now located at ISU:
“This sculpture has been recognized by veterinary schools throughout the United States and the world as an international symbol of veterinary medicine. The sculpture depicts a vet who is holding a sick or wounded puppy. At the doctor’s feet is the mother of the puppy looking upward with concern. The Gentle Doctor stands almost seven feet tall. The original terra cotta sculpture sustained weather damage over time and was recast in bronze. It now stands on the main floor of the Scheman Building and the reproduction in bronze is located at the Veterinary Medicine Building. The sculpture represents the strong bond between humans and animals.” (www.museums.iastate.
Site originally submitted by Donald G. Browne on February 25, 2014.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site