- Independence, IA
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Flood and Erosion Control, Dams
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civil Works Administration (CWA)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
Just before the phase-out of the CWA began in January 1934, the City of Independence applied successfully for CWA funds to build a trio of small dams across the Wapsipinicon at Independence downstream from the city’s mill dam. On further investigation by the county engineer, the number of dams was reduced to two, and later to one. This dam, now known as the Independence Low Dam, spans the river at the northwest corner of Oak Grove Cemetery. The original plans called for multiple three-foot dams constructed of rock and other materials, but eventually a single four-foot dam was constructed of cement and stone taken from the river. The dam was apparently constructed in four sections. The work was started in late February 1934, and was completed a month later.
Source notesBuilding Jobs in Iowa New Deal Dams of the Wapsipinicon River Watershed in Northeast Iowa By Richard J. Carlson and Chérie E. Haury-Artz
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on June 19, 2017.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site