- Walnut, MS
- Site Type:
- Schools, Education and Health
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
- Walter R. Nelson
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
Tippah County school at Walnut, received a $9800 loan and$6216 grant from Public Works Administration project 2713 for construction of a new school building after the old one burned in March 1933. The project was approved December 26, 1933. Construction started June 16, 1934 and was completed September 18, 1934. The architect was Walter R. Nelson of Memphis. The one-story red brick-veneered building in Colonial Revival style remains in use as the high school. An addition to the rear elevation was added in 1949.
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Project Division, p. 104.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory 139-WAL-0002.1 Classroom building, Walnut School White Complex. Retrieved Sept. 3, 2021 from:
Mississippi is Awarded 11 Million Dollars on Public Works Projects. (Aug 13, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 5, 2021.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site