- Hamilton, OH
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Education and Health, Museums, City and Town Halls
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
The Hamilton Municipal Building (city hall), now the Heritage Hall Museum, was constructed as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project.
“This project included, in addition to the construction of the municipal building, the purchase of a site which was selected in the business district of the city, facing the Miami River.
The building provides space for the city council, all of the offices for the departments of the city government, municipal courts, a jail, the police department with a rifle range for their use, and a unit of the fire department.
The structure is fireproof throughout and its exterior walls are faced with limestone relieved by a small amount of carved ornament and decorative metal spandrels between the windows.
It was completed in April 1936 at a construction cost of $419,783 and a project cost of $573,690.”
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site