- Mount Rushmore, SD
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Forestry and Agriculture, Fire Lookouts
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
"The Harney Peak Lookout Tower was built by Camp F-23, Doran to replace the old wooden structure. Over 7,500 rocks had to be hauled up the mountain on specially built horse-drawn sleds. Everything necessary was sledded up or carried by the men as they climbed to the job site. The U.S. Forest Service recently did repairs at the tower in the hope that the shelter will be respectfully used."
"The Harney Peak Fire Tower was constructed at Harney Peak by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1935 to 1938. Stones gathered from French Creek were used to construct the tower. All of the building materials were hauled by man and mule to the summit of Harney Peak.
In addition to the Harney Peak Fire Lookout Tower, a dam, pump house and stairway were constructed upon the highpoint. The reservoir created by the dam supplied water to the living quarters where were located in the lower level. The comforts of electricity, flush toilets, and a central heating system were incorporated into the remote Harney Peak Fire Lookout Tower.
Harney Peak Fire Lookout Tower was staffed until 1965 by the U.S. Forest Service, and then for the following two years by Custer State Park. Airplanes, helicopters and other fire towers throughout the Black Hills National Forest, resulted in the Harney Peak Fire Tower no longer being staffed since 1967."
Source notesProject submitted by Brad Saum. https://harneypeakinfo.com/harney-peak-fire-tower Sanders, Peggy. _The Civilian Conservation Corps: In and Around the Black Hills._ Arcadia Publishing, 2004. Pg. 117.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site