- Geneva, AL
- Site Type:
- CCC Camps, Federal Facilities, Forestry and Agriculture
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Quality of Information:
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Co. No. 2421 SP was created at Geneva State Forest in what was previously cleat-cut land, part of a land holding of timberlands owned by the Jackson Lumber Company. The lumber company donated the land to the State of Alabama instead of paying property taxes on land they could no longer exploit.
The Geneva State Forest was originally known as C.C.C. Co. No. 2421, SP-1.
The camp was under the leadership of Captain M.G. Denton.
According to Robert Pasquill, Jr. book, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Alabama, 1933-1942: A Great and Lasting Good the C.C.C. Co. No. 2421 SP (State Park 1) was the first CCC Camp in an Alabama State Park.
Pasquill, Robert. The Civilian Conservation Corps in Alabama, 1933–1942: A Great and Lasting Good. University of Alabama Press, 2008.
Site originally submitted by Dr. Kevin Ammons on July 25, 2022.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site