- Salt Lake City, UT
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Civic Facilities, Public Housing
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Fort Douglas was expanded during the New Deal by the PWA, CCC and WPA. The WPA added several houses for senior officers (buildings 621-625 on the central parade grounds, along De Trobriand Street) and non-commissioned officers (buildings 658, 600, 664, 665, 666 on Connor Road), along with entrance columns. These are all still in use.
There are several other WPA works at Fort Douglas that are harder to document or have disappeared. The only site marked as New Deal on the base is the bathhouse.
More photos taken by the WPA during the 1930s are in the archives of the library at the University of Utah, but have not yet been examined.
Source notesEric Browning, "Historic Fort Douglas at the University of Utah: A Brief History and Walking Tour." University of Utah, Department of Facilities Planning, 2000 University of Utah, History of Fort Douglas Walking Tour
Site originally submitted by Joan Greer on April 1, 2017.
At this Location:
- Fort Douglas: NCO Quarters - Salt Lake City UT
- Fort Douglas: CCC Warehouse & Stables - Salt Lake City UT
- Fort Douglas: Barracks - Salt Lake City UT
- Fort Douglas - Salt Lake City UT
- Fort Douglas: Recreation Hall & Pool - Salt Lake City UT
- Fort Douglas: Bath House & other improvements - Salt Lake City UT
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site