- Harrisonburg, VA
- Site Type:
- Federal Courthouses, Federal Facilities, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Treasury Department, Federal & Military Operations
- R. Stanley-Brown
Originally the Harrisonburg United States Post Office and Court House, this Louis A. Simon-designed federal building opened in 1940.
The GSA writes that the building “is located at the northeast corner of North Main and East Elizabeth Streets in the historic commercial and institutional center of the city. The building contains five floors, including a full basement and penthouse, and rises to a height of nearly 60 feet above grade. It is cruciform in plan, measuring approximately 104 feet wide from north to south by 142 feet long from east to west. Its masonry exterior features Classical/Colonial Revival detailing with Flemish-bond brickwork accented with white marble belt courses, engaged pilaster capitals, frieze bands and cornices. The exterior cladding of the foundation walls, water tables and entrance steps are white granite, and all first- and second-floor window bays typically feature green stone sills and apron spandrels.”
The building is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
GSA Historic Buildings Database
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 5, 2013.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site