- Gadsden, AL
- Site Type:
- Federal Facilities, Federal Courthouses, Post Offices
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Treasury Department
Originally the Gadsden post office, this Beaux-Arts-style building was constructed in 1909. The post office was twice extended, first in 1915 and again, during the New Deal, in 1937. Louis A. Simon was the Supervising Architect of the second extension.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 3, 1976.
The building is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, and it no longer serves as a post office.
Source noteshttps://www.fjc.gov/history/courthouses.nsf/getcourthouse?OpenAgent&chid=D7C91E42E1E8593B8525714F006A1663 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Post_Office_%28Gadsden,_Alabama%29
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 2, 2013.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site