- Marlin, TX
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Courthouses (State & Local)
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Arthur E. Thomas
- Hill and Combs
Excerpts from the state historical marker read:
“Work began on a fifth Falls County courthouse in 1938. A county bond issue for $130,000 was matched with a 45% Public Works Administration grant in 1938. The cornerstone was leveled by the Grand Lodge of Texas, A. F. & A. M., on July 4, 1939, and the building was completed by December. . . The courthouse was designed in the Art Moderne style by architect Arthur E. Thomas of Dallas, and was constructed by San Antonio contractors Hill and Combs. . .The 1939 Falls County courthouse continues to serve as the center of county government.”
The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 2000 and designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 2000.
Site originally submitted by Larry Moore on August 19, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site