- Ephraim, WI
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Firehouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)
- William Bernhard
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funded the Ephraim Fire House in Ephraim WI in 1935.
Unusual fire house built into a cliff. Architect was William Bernhard, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. Now a museum and a memorial to fall firemen and women.
According to the Wisconsin Historical Society,
|“The Ephraim Engine House was constructed of local limestone in 1935 following a design by prominent local architect William Bernhard. Construction of the building relied on funds provided by FERA. As such, although Bernhard drew the plans for the structure in 1934, construction did not begin until April of 1935, when FERA funds became available. Once construction began, it was likely carried out by local workmen, as the CCC camp in nearby Peninsula State Park was not established until August of that year. “|
Site originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on July 7, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site