- Hartsville, SC
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Auditoriums and Arenas, Community Centers
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Lafaye & Lafaye
The federal Public Works Administration provided funds for the construction of a community building in Hartsville, South Carolina during the mid-1930s. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
“The Center Theater in Hartsville, South Carolina is a theater located at 212 N Fifth St. The theater was built in 1936 using money from the federal Works Progress Administration, a component of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal agency. The theater contains 867 seats, almost 200 of which are in the balcony. The building has historically been known as “Building A” or the “Community Center Theater”, as it was constructed as part of a project including two other buildings on the block. Initially used as a motion picture theater, the facility was later modified to accommodate performance arts.”The PWA supplied a long-term loan of $100,000 for the project, in addition to a $36,063 outright grant to the community. The total cost of the project was $148,607. Construction on the community building began May 1935; work was completed Oct. 1936.(PWA Docket No. SC 3065)
Source noteshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Theater_%28Hartsville,_South_Carolina%29 National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 111.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 12, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site