- Cleveland, OH
- Site Type:
- Art Works, Murals
- New Deal Agencies:
- Arts Programs, Public Works of Art Project (PWAP)
- Joseph Egan
“In the Cleveland region, the Cleveland Public Library was the largest recipient of art that was funded by Federal programs in the Depression era. The leadership of Linda Eastman, Library Director from 1918 to 1938, was crucial. She believed in the importance of the arts in supporting learning and she was encouraged by the enthusiasm of her brother, painter William Joseph Eastman.
Three major murals were painted for the Main Library Building; six murals were painted for branch libraries; children’s sections were decorated with ceramics and dolls (pg 33) that served as aids during story-telling; numerous easel paintings portrayed historical and literary themes; and prints from the graphics’ workshop filled library walls and flat files. The Library has been an excellent steward of this legacy, and has continued the tradition of incorporating art into its buildings to this day—as new branches have been built over the past several decades, art has always been part of the building project.” (Dean and Marling)
Joseph Egan painted this mural “Old Reservoir Walk” in 1933-34 with funding from the PWAP. It is an oil on burlap, 60 x 84 inches mural. It was originally installed at the Carnegie West Branch.
Source notesSharon E. Dean and Karal Ann Marling, Covering History: Revisiting Federal Art in Cleveland, 1933-43. The Cleveland Public Library and the Cleveland Artists Foundation, 2006. (Quote: p. 56). Cleveland Public Library: https://www.cpl.org/BooksMoviesMore/OnlineExhibitHall/NewDealArtCollection/Murals.aspx
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site