- Fairfield, ME
- Site Type:
- Hospitals and Clinics, Education and Health
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civil Works Administration (CWA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
According to Town Reports, works was performed at the CMS by the New Deal.
The following is a list of the various projects which have been carried on during the past three months through the use of C.W.A. Funds.
No.1 Rebuilding of 2,500 feet of road from State Highway to Central Maine Sanatorium; work includes rock base with gravel top, also culverts and guard rail fence.
No. 13 Excavating under the cellars of three buildings at Central Maine Sanatorium.
Report of Relief Work
During the past year, through the use of C.W.A. And E.R.A. Funds, the following projects have been carried on:
9. Excavating under three buildings at the Central Maine Sanatorium.
The facility known as Central Maine Sanatorium is also known as Chase Sanatorium. Was founded circa 1909 in Waterville, Maine as a small clinic with a tent colony established on Atwood hill in 1910 in Fairfield. In 1914 the first real structure was built after a generous donation from Valora A. Chase, the building was known as the Chase Memorial building after her husband Mr. Frank Chase. At this time the association was known as Central Maine Association for the Relief and Control of Tuberculosis, the name was changed to Chase Memorial Sanatorium. In 1915 a state law was passed entitled “An Act to Provide for the Care and Treatment of Tuberculosis Persons” Various structures were constructed over the years increasing the number of patients to 208 and staff to 92. Hardy and Jewell Buildings torn down approximately 1965-66, Later that year the sanatorium was sold to men from Augusta, Maine area, and for 1 year was a hospital for alcoholics, etc… then became a nursing home. The Sanatorium closed on June 30, 1970 and the Downs, Chase and Milliken Buildings torn down approximately 1978 – 79. Two of the staff quarters are still in use.
Annual Report of the Town of Fairfield by the Municipal Officers
Site originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on August 24, 2019.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site