- Vicksburg, MS
- Site Type:
- Gymnasiums, Education and Health, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
- N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The addition of an auditorium and gymnasium, since demolished, was completed for the 1924 Central High School building, along with improvements to the athletic field and athletic building. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the additions in 1936. Public Works Administration project 1148 was approved 7/21/1936 for $34,363 grant. Construction began 12/21/1936 and was completed 11/18/1937 for a total cost of $78,366.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, no. 149-VKS-1054-NR-NRD-ML. Retrieved Dec 25, 2019 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Vicksburg&County=Any
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal allotted projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
PWA Gives State Almost $900,000. (Jul 29, 1936). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 29, 2019.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site