- Nampa, ID
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Auditoriums and Arenas
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Lee R. Cooke
- J.O. Jordan and Son
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
A 1200-seat auditorium in the Public Works Administration (PWA) Moderne style built primarily as an addition to the facilities of Central Junior High School, but also served the Nampa community for many years as a venue for concerts, sporting events, and other large public gatherings.
According to the Idaho Statesman, “The structure was built as a PWA project at a cost of $88,725.88. It is at the corner of Fourteenth avenue and Sixth street south. All intermural sports for the entire system will be played in the new building. Opera seats arranged on three sides of the hard maple center floor will accommodate 1200 persons. Folding chairs may be used to seat an additional 200 persons on the stage. When the auditorium is used for class plays or programs chairs placed upon the main floor will seat 1000 more persons. The building is modernistic in design. Lee R. Cooke, Nampa, was architect and engineer. J.O. Jordan and Son, Boise, was general contractor.”
Source notes"Nampa School Dedication Set," Idaho Statesman, August 31, 1937.
Site originally submitted by Douglas Dodd on July 17, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site