- Stockton, MO
- Site Type:
- Courthouses (State & Local), Civic Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- James D Marshall and M Dwight Brown
- W. F. Edgell and Son
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Th Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Cedar County Courthouse in Stockton, in 1938.
According to information published by the University of Missouri Extension, “Cedar County Courthouse is the third for the county in the first of this particular site. The courthouse was constructed beginning in 1938 using the matching funds grant from the Public Works Administration. The courthouse was designed by James D Marshall and M Dwight Brown, an engineer and architect for Kansas City. The architects recommended a monolithic cement building as it would be fireproof. W. F. Edgell and Son from Leavenworth Kansas were contracted to build the courthouse. The cornerstone was not possible poured concrete construction thus items normally placed in a cornerstone placed in a copper box which is placed in the concrete floor on the first level. The courthouse was dedicated January 4, 1940. It is believed to be the first monolithic or architectural concrete public building in the state of Missouri.”
Cedar County Courthouse: (https://cedarcountymo.gov), accessed March 21, 2018.
Site originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on March 21, 2018.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site