- Rush Springs, OK
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Infrastructure and Utilities, Flood and Erosion Control
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
A CCC monument erected in 1987 commemorates CCC Company 884 which worked out of Rush Springs, Oklahoma. This camp focused primarily on “soil conservation due to the nature of the soil in this area. The work performed here consisted of terracing and other work to deter soil erosion…A granite monument is erected east of the municipal pool on the east side of Jeff Davis Park, on the east side of Rush Springs. CCC Company 884 camp was located in this area between 1933 and 1942.” (waymarking.com)
The monument inscription includes:
“To all the young men who served and to future generations that they might be reminded of our government’s efforts to improve the status of the unemployed during the Great Depression of the 1930’s.
Also to the U.S. Army and the Department of Agriculture for the guidance they provided both in camp and in the field, and the Rush Springs Lions Club for its efforts in securing the Camp here.”
Site originally submitted by hamquilter on December 4, 2013.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site