- Carmel, CA
- Site Type:
- Archaeology and History, Historical Restoration
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The Carmel Mission chapel roof was rebuilt in 1936 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) craftsmen to enable the roof to be covered in clay tile. This was a correction to a restoration performed in 1882.
The full name of Carmel Mission is Mission San Carlos Borromeo del rio Carmelo. It was established by Father Junipero Serra and his Franciscans monks leading the Spanish settlement of Alta California. He is buried here. At the time of the beatification of Father Serra in 2015, there were many protests at the mission.
Bellaza, Robert A. Missions of Monterey. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Books, 2013.
Site originally submitted by Charles Swaney on July 1, 2018.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site