- Rock Island, IL
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, Armories
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Benjamin A. Horn, Chris Maiwald
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The historic Rock Island Armory was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds between 1936 and 1937. The PWA supplied a $147,272 grant for the project, whose total cost was $359,626.
The structure was demolished in 2009; Schwiebert Park now occupies the former site of the building.
PWA Docket No. IL [W]1195.
Source noteshttps://www.rockislandpreservation.org/postcards-from-home/armory/ National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 47.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 15, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site