- Tuscaloosa, AL
- Site Type:
- Colleges and Universities, Education and Health, Libraries
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Hugh Martin
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The University of Alabama’s Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library was built in 1939 with the aid of funding provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). It is located on the site of the first library on campus. The first university library, known as the Rotunda, was destroyed during the Civil War and its ruins can be found underneath the semi-circular plaza in front of the building. Gorgas Library supports teaching and research needs in humanities, social sciences, and government information as the campus’ main library. Among the research libraries in the state of Alabama, Gorgas Library provides the latest technology-driven services and unparalleled print and online research collections.
PWA plaque on site.
Site originally submitted by Kevin Ammons on July 20, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site