Shoreham Hill bridge - Washington DC
The Shoreham Hill bridge was constructed in 1938 as part of the completion of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway project of the 1930s. It lies just south of the large Connecticut and Massachusetts Avenue bridges. It is the third and most northerly of three parkway crossings of Rock Creek by the parkway.
The Shoreham Hill bridge replaced a steel truss bridge of 1929, which was considered by the National Park Service (NPS) as a traffic hazard and out of keeping with the established look of the parkway and its other bridges. In 1937, the NPS and the DC Board of Public Works allocated $112,000 from their road and trail funds for a new bridge.
The bridge is a reinforced concrete arch structure, with stone facing of blue-gray mica schist – a design that blend well with the background scenery of the parkway. The span of the bridge is 90 feet and the total length is 220 feet. It is 52 feet wide, include two sidewalks. It was renovated in 1987.
Marcia Miller, Shoreham Hill Bridge, HAER No. DC-10, 1988.
"Rock Creek Span is Facing Delay," The Washington Evening Star, Sept. 13, 1937.
Zack Spratt, "Rock Creek Bridges", Records of the Columbia Historical Society, 53-56 (1959)
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on January 20, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE