Wawona ranger residenceCCC built cabin
As noted in A Sense Of Place Design Guidelines For Yosemite National Park (p. 169), “The rangers’ residences consist of four historic white buildings (originally two garages and two residences), set well back along the north edge of the alluvial plain on the slightly sloping ground parallel to Chilnualna Falls Road. Visible from the Wawona Road, they are excellent examples of buildings designed by the National Park Service to be compatible with the Wawona Hotel complex and the nearby Chinquapin ranger station. Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1934 and 1939, they contain elements of early Californian and Colonial Revival styles. Painted white, they identify strongly with the Wawona Hotel community.”
The largest house is used by UC Merced, as noted on the UC Merced website: “UC Merced operates two field stations in Yosemite and Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks in partnership with Yosemite National Park, Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks, and the U.S. Geological Survey. The stations offer unparalleled access and support for research and teaching in the parks and surrounding areas. We are dedicated to facilitating collaboration between sciences, arts and the humanities, education, and natural resource management.”
A Sense Of Place Design Guidelines For Yosemite National Park prepared by the National Park Service Yosemite National Park California: (https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=347&projectID=70781&documentID=77924), accessed November 8, 2017.
UC Merced (http://snrs.ucmerced.edu), accessed November 8, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on November 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE