1939 Fort Worth Library
Fort Worth’s first library opened in 1901 thanks to a $50,000 donation from wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. By the late 1920’s the need for additional space became critical, but a bond issue for a larger library failed. When funds became available through the Public Works Administration in 1933, library supporters pushed to secure money for a new building. After years of wrangling with the city council and the PWA, the Carnegie Library was demolished, and the new library project was completed in June 1939 at a construction cost of $370,688 and a project cost of $390,861.
A new central library opened in 1978. The 1939 library was demolished in 1990.
PWA Docket No. TX W1217.
http://fortworthtexas.gov/library/info/default.aspx?id=5610 http://archive.org/stream/publicbuildingss00unitrich/publicbuildingss00unitrich_djvu.txt http://dart.org/news/news.asp?ID=338
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE