"The Gentle Doctor" Sculpture"Gentle Doctor" in front of image, with Petersen's terra cotta veterinary medicine mural behind.
Christian Petersen created this sculpture “The Gentle Doctor” out of terra cotta in 1937-38. Both the original and a bronze copy are now located at ISU:
“This sculpture has been recognized by veterinary schools throughout the United States and the world as an international symbol of veterinary medicine. The sculpture depicts a vet who is holding a sick or wounded puppy. At the doctor’s feet is the mother of the puppy looking upward with concern. The Gentle Doctor stands almost seven feet tall. The original terra cotta sculpture sustained weather damage over time and was recast in bronze. It now stands on the main floor of the Scheman Building and the reproduction in bronze is located at the Veterinary Medicine Building. The sculpture represents the strong bond between humans and animals.” (www.museums.iastate.
Project originally submitted by Donald G. Browne on February 25, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE