Cascade CCC troup 942Cascade CCC troup 942
CCC Co. 920, YNP 6 (the 6th camp established in Yosemite), NP 20, operated from 11/24/33 to 7/1/42 with a short break when the camp was destroyed in a 1937 flood and was moved to a location near El Capitan.
One of the most outstanding achievements of the Cascade recruits was the rebuilding of the stairway ascending the eastern face of Half Dome in May 1934. The Half Dome cables, which had been installed about1920 by the Sierra Club, were replaced and strengthened by the CCC. The objective was to replace 429 feet of 1/8 inch cable with 1 inch galvanized iron cable and also to replace thirty-nine pipe posts with stronger 1-inch pipe. A stub camp was established at the base of the dome. Workers drilled forty-one holes averaging seven inches in depth by hand in the rock for the new pipe posts. Each man was tied with a piece of rope to the pipe posts while he was drilling to prevent slipping or falling. New wooden steps were installed at the base of each pair of posts so that hikers could rest at these points. Although the weather had been perfect before work began, when enrollees set up camp and started the task, it suddenly changed. Every afternoon a storm blew in with rain, hail, or snow combined with high winds and work had to be discontinued. The stairway was eventually finished later
Cascade enrollees made many improvements at Yosemite Village. They installed log curbing and new paths, and planted ferns, trees, and shrubs along the foundations around the administration building, new hospital, residences, and the Yosemite Museum. Native plants removed from various places outside the valley were transplanted around government residences. CCC workers also revitalized the historic 250 apple trees planted by James Lamon, one of the first settlers in Yosemite Valley in 1868. Village improvements continued as workers placed flagstones around the telescopes in front of the museum. Over a six-month period beginning in April 1935, 1,973 pine and cedar trees and thirty-six quaking aspens were planted in the barren areas fronting the road at Camps 7 and 15 (Lower and Upper River campgrounds). Under the direction of the park naturalist, enrollees from the Cascades Camp transformed the garden around the Yosemite Museum into a wildflower meadow featuring a spring and a stream.
THE CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS (CCC) IN YOSEMITE by Lois Orr
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 20, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE