Cleveland’s historic Glenville Bratenahl Station post office—then known as Station H—was constructed in 1935-6 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. Designed by R. Stanley-Brown, the building is still in service. “This postal station serves a rapidly growing commercial district in the… read more
The historic Gwen B. Giles Station post office—also known as Wellston Station (prior to a Congressional renaming)—in St. Louis, Missouri, was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds between 1936 and 1937. The building, which houses a New Deal mural inside,… read more
Houston’s historic Harris County District Attorney’s Building was constructed as a federal office building and [the Franklin Station] post office during the 1930s. The building, whose construction was funded by the Treasury Department, was completed in 1939. Harris County purchased… read more
The Henderson County Library in Athens, Texas, also known as the Clint W. Murchison Memorial Library, was constructed in 1935 as the Athens post office. The building has served as a library since 1973.
"In 1937[sic], renowned art deco architect Claud Beelman, then partner at Curlett + Beelman, could not have had any inkling that his WPA commissioned Hollywood Post Office Building, (located at 1615 Wilcox) would end up being a dead letter repository… read more
Constructed in 1936-37 by the Treasury Department under supervising architect Louis A. Simon.
The Jackson Heights Station post office of Flushing in Queens, New York “is a historic post office building located at Jackson Heights … The original section was built in 1936-1937, and was designed by architect Benjamin C. Flournoy (1876-ca. 1939)… read more
The historic Jackson Heights Station post office houses an example of New Deal artwork: “Development of Jackson Heights,” a Section of Fine Arts-commissioned mural by Peppino Mangravite.
The Medford post office and courthouse was originally constructed in 1916. An extension was added by the Treasury Department in 1940 under Louis A. Simon supervising architect. The building is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the… read more
The colossal James Farley Post Office Building, so named in 1982, is home to the Main Post Office of New York, NY. The building was originally constructed in 1912, facing Eighth Avenue; a 1934-6 Treasury Department-funded addition doubled the size… read more
The James O. Eastland federal post office and courthouse was constructed in 1933-34. It is a “five-story, limestone, Art Deco interpretation of a classical building” (www.gsa.gov). A new courthouse recently replaced this one, and the Eastland building is now privately… read more
Albany, New York’s historic James T. Foley U.S. Courthouse was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds as the city’s main post office, courthouse, and custom house. “The architects completed their plans in 1931 and the following year, the government awarded… read more
This post office and courthouse building was begun by the Treasury under the Hoover administration, but was completed in 1933 in the early months of the New Deal. As the General Services Administration describes: “The Joel W. Solomon Federal Building… read more
This New Deal Art Deco building was originally constructed as the “post office annex” to the 1908 Federal Building and Courthouse next door. The building still functions as both a post office and a general federal building housing various federal… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Kensington Station post office “is a historic post office building … was built in 1935, and designed by consulting architect Lorimer Rich for the Office of the Supervising Architect. The building is a two-story, six-bay-wide brick building… read more
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania’s old Kingsessing Station post office, located at the western corner of Whitby Ave. and S 52nd St., was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is now privately owned. A pair of New… read more
The historic Lamb County Library building in Littlefield, Texas was constructed as the city’s post office in 1940 with federal Treasury Department funds.
The historic Lenox Hill Station post office in New York, New York is located on East 70th Street, between 2nd Ave. and 3rd Ave. It was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The… read more
Originally constructed as the Osborn (later renamed Fairborn) post office, this New Deal building was constructed in 1940 and now houses Fairport’s public library. An example of New Deal artwork created for the building has been relocated to the community’s… read more
The historic former post office building in Floral Park, New York was constructed with Treasury Department and Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds in 1936. The building presently serves as the Floral Park Public Library. Postal operations have been moved to… read more
The building that is now the Upper Marlboro Library used to be the Upper Marlboro Post Office, and “is significant for its Colonial Revival architecture produced under Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect for the Treasury Department; and for the large… read more
“This building, which was built in 1938 as a post office in the New Deal project, PWA (Public Works Administration), is the home of a beautiful Peter Hurd mural which is on the front exterior of the building. In Alamogordo,… read more
This Mission Revival style building was built under the Roosevelt Administration and served as the main mail distribution for LA until 1994. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Only a part of this structure… read more
This fresco in the Post Office Terminal Annex lobby consists of eleven semi-circular, tempera on plaster “lunettes” by Boris Deutsch depicting “Cultural Contributions of North, South and Central America.” The murals were funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts… read more
The Madison Square Station post office in New York, New York “was built in 1935, and designed by consulting architects Lorimer Rich for the Office of the Supervising Architect.” (Wikipedia) Professor Dolkart of Columbia University School of Architecture, Planning and… read more