The F. Edward Hebert Federal Building was built from 1935 to 1939 and is still in use. At the time it was built, the Treasury Department was responsible for all federal buildings. Formerly home to the New Orleans Main Post… read more
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
“Constructed almost twenty years before Alaska became the forty-ninth state, the Federal Building in Anchorage symbolized the U.S. government’s commitment to the economic growth and development of the territory. Providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services,… read more
The first federal courthouse in Ketchikan was opened in 1905. By 1913, a federal grand jury requested the government build a new facility. In 1923, a report found the 1905 courthouse “dilapidated beyond reasonable repair and overcrowded past endurance.” Finally,… read more
An extension to the Newport News Federal Building’s main structure was built with Treasury Department funds. Construction was completed in 1941. The building, which is still in use, houses New Deal artwork. The original Newport News Federal Building was built in… read more
Provo’s historic J. Will Robinson Federal Building was constructed as the city’s then-new post office building ca. 1936. The building bears an unexpected cornerstone from 1965, owing to the building’s extensive renovation at that time. Housing an example of New… read more
This federal building, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally occupied in 1907. According to the General Services Administration, a three-story, 100-foot extension was constructed to… read more
This Beaux-Arts building was originally completed as the U.S. Court House and Post Office in 1906. James A. Wetmore supervised a New Deal extension of the building that was completed in 1934. The building was listed on the National Register… read more
The historic Elk City, Oklahoma Federal Building / post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was completed in 1936 and now houses the Elk City Board of Education.
What is now known as the C. F. Haynsworth Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse in Greenville, South Carolina was constructed during the Great Depression, completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which formerly housed the main post… read more
Originally the Gadsden post office, this Beaux-Arts-style building was constructed in 1909. The post office was twice extended, first in 1915 and again, during the New Deal, in 1937. Louis A. Simon was the Supervising Architect of the second extension…. read more
The historic federal building in downtown Billings, Montana was originally constructed in 1913-4. The building was expanded in 1932 and again in 1940, the latter impacting the “rear central and southern portions of the building” and bringing with it an… read more
The Federal Building in Grand Island, NE underwent an extension during the early era of the New Deal. “Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the new post office and federal building in Grand Island, authorizing the final… read more
Terre Haute’s historic U.S. Post Office and Court House was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and completed in 1935. The building has been remodeled by Indiana State University; currently known as Federal Hall, the building houses the Scott School… read more
The Federal Office Building at 90 Church Street was constructed between 1934 and 1935 by the Treasury Department Public Buildings Bureau, and includes the Church Street Station Post Office. It occupies the entire city block bounded by between Church Street and… read more
The Forest Hills Station post office was built in 1937. It was designed by Lorimer Rich consulting architect to the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, Louis Simon. The single story, flat roofed building is done in Modern or… read more
The main post office in Newark, NJ — designated the Frank R. Lautenberg Post Office and Courthouse in 2000 by act of Congress — was constructed with New Deal funds in 1935-36. While the USPS currently owns the building, the… read more
Constructed in 1937 as the Chapel Hill’s main post office, the historic Franklin Street Station post office was constructed with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in use today.
Built in a record 18 months, Nashville’s former post office was built in the distinctive “starved” or “stripped” classicism exterior design with elements of Art Deco in the interior. The exterior is white Georgia marble with gray-pink Minnesota granite. The… read more