The Works Progress Administration built a swimming pool for the former State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, Alabama, near Birmingham.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a swimming pool and bathhouse in Anacostia Park in the late 1930s. The pool is still in use today as the Anacostia Pool and Recreation Center. The date of construction is unclear from the… read more
The Arlington Heights Recreation Center, which was built between 1936 and 1939, was created through the Works Progress Administration. The idea for the project was first conceived in 1934, but financial support did not become available to start the building… read more
On May 31, 1938, the Department of Parks announced “that plans were being prepared for the renovation of nine public bath houses transferred to them from the jurisdiction of the Borough President of Manhattan.” The improvements were to be done… read more
In November 1935, the Works Progress Administration authorized $8243.00 for the construction and improvements at a new two acre playground, which would become Bailey Park. The improvements included two tennis courts, a baseball diamond, wading pool, light, water and sewer… read more
During the 1930s, Banneker Recreation Area was developed as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Notably, the CWA was… read more
The Bartow Civic Recreation Center and pool were built ca. 1933-1935. Records suggest the project was started by workers in the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and completed by workers in the Work Division of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)…. read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Beachland Park pool and bathhouse in West Hartford CT in 1936.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) reforested “20,000 acres of drifting sand hills and expanded Bessey Forest Nursery producing 30 million saplings for reforestation.” The CCC also “constructed a public campground and picnic area, shelter house, bath houses, and a swimming pool… read more
California Woods Nature Preserve was built in 1938 by Hubert M. Garriott and John W. Becker . The WPA hired local workers to built this modern 2 story pool house. Surrounded by woods and beautiful scenery, people got to enjoy… read more
Naperville’s Centennial Park beach received a bathhouse during the New Deal, which is still standing today: “In 1934, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed the bathhouse, built from limestone taken from the quarry at the facility’s western edge. The completed… read more
One-story, brick, H-shaped building with tile roof. This building was originally constructed by the Works Progress Administration as the swimming pool and bathhouse for Nashville’s Centennial Park. The swimming pool and bathhouse were closed during the Civil Rights movement as… read more
Camp Roosevelt: C.C.C. Company #171 operated from May 23, 1933 to March 31, 1937, and worked to develop what was later designated as Chatfield Hollow State Park. It was originally “developed as a Civilian Conservation Corps recreation area within Cockaponset State Forest.”
The CCC was extensively involved in development of the portion of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area formerly known as Platt National Park: “Originally known as Sulphur Springs Reservation, and later renamed Platt National Park, the park was established in 1902… read more