1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
  • Administrative & Support Buildings - Death Valley National Park CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument  from 1933 to 1942. CCC 'boys' built erected a total of 76 buildings in the monument, including administrative, residential, maintenance & visitor facilities.   The main CCC camp was at Cow Creek, built in 1933 and rebuilt after a fire in 1936.   The original park headquarters was at Cow Creek, as well, and now serves as a Research Center.  Some of the old camp buildings at Cow Creek still stand and are in use as support facilities for park administration: warehouses, a carpenter shop, trades shop, radio building and...
  • Alley Spring, Ozark National Scenic Riverways - Eminence MO
    At Alley Spring, the CCC constructed many trails, rock walls, 11 buildings, campgrounds, roads, restored the mill including replacing the floor, and diverted the slough adjacent to the mill to insure that it did not silt in. The CCC unit that worked this site consisted of WWI veterans.
  • Allison Ranger Station, Snow Mountain Ranger District - Malheur National Forest OR
    Located in the Snow Mountain Ranger District of the Malheur National Forest (transferred from the Ochoco National Forest in 2003), the Allison Ranger Station can be described as historically  significant given its age and continuous use in the administration of the Forest Service’s responsibility for this relatively remote area in the Ochoco Mountains of eastern Oregon. The timber and summer forage have been important to the local economy’s lumber and stock-raising industries. The Allison Ranger Station served as the administrative headquarters for the district from 1911 until the 1950s when the headquarters was moved to Hines, Oregon. At that time, the...
  • Alta Ski Resort Development - Alta UT
    The New Deal gave a huge boost to the development of Alta Ski Resort in the 1930s and early 1940s.  The work involved the US Forest Service, the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. Alta is the second or third oldest downhill ski resort in the United States. It began when the last silver mine closed in the Great Depression and the bankrupt owner deeded land to the U.S. Forest Service in lieu of back taxes. It is not clear who thought of creating a ski resort there, since miners had been skiing the canyon for years. In 1935, the Forest Service hired...
  • American Legion Hut - Tahlequah OK
    "Located in Tahlequah City Park, on the southeast corner of N. Brookside Avenue and E. Shawnee Street, this Hut is also known as the Rhodes Pritchett American Legion Post 50 and is currently active. It is a rectangular building constructed of native sandstone in a typical WPA Standardized style. The building has a native stone foundation, with a covered porch entrance under a side facing gable. The roof is slightly pitched and covered with shingles.   "The porch front opening, as well as each of the paired window units has a soldier-stone header with a large keystone. The windows are one-over-one wood-framed...
  • Antlers Guard Station - Whitman National Forest OR
    Built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Antlers Guard Station was originally used to house project and fire crews. Later on, guard stations lost their utility, because the Forest Service had quicker ways to get to forest areas without these stations. Starting in the 1990s, the Antlers Guard Station was rented out to the public, and in 1991 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Argos Izaak Walton League and Hatchery- Argos IN
    The Argos Izaak Walton League clubhouse and attendant (former) fish hatchery were constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935 to 1937. The fish hatchery in Argos, Indiana had "a capacity of 375,000 fingerlings annually."The facility is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. "This building of glacial stone and the surrounding 17 acres of fishing ponds and structures are a tribute to natural aesthetics, an idea important to the League who made this building their clubhouse. The Argos Izaak Walton League was established in 1929 in response to concern for the conservation of natural resources, fish and wildlife...
  • Babcock State Park - Clifftop WV
    "Babcock, one of the earliest state parks, covers 4,127 acres. It was opened on July 1, 1937, and built as a public works program during the Great Depression. The main facilities and trails were constructed between 1934 and 1937 by young workers employed through the Civilian Conservation Corps. The main park headquarters, 13 cabins, a horse stable, superintendent’s house, a natural swimming pool, and picnic facilities were constructed from locally quarried stone and American chestnut trees killed by the chestnut blight. The door latches and other metal work were hand-forged on site by CCC workers. The landscape had been completely...
  • Babcock State Park: Park Headquarters and Administration Building - Clifftop WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Park Headquarters and Administration Building in Babcock State Park, Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from the Babcock Coal & Coke Company to create a state park. CCC Company 1522 established Camp Beaver on 14 May 1934 lasting until 14 August 1937. Camp Lee was occupied by CCC Company 532 on 10 July 1935, and remained active until late 1941 or early 1942.
  • Balboa Park: Balboa Park Club - San Diego CA
    The current Balboa Park Club was built in 1915 as the New Mexico building for the Panama-Pacific Exhibition.  It was redesigned by the WPA for the 1935-6 California Pacific International Exposition.
  • Balboa Park: House of Hospitality Improvements - San Diego CA
    Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the fair.
  • Bascom Lodge - Lanesborough MA
    Located at the peak of Mount Greylock in the Northwestern corner of Massachusetts, Bascom Lodge has been a retreat for hikers and travelers for nearly 80 years. The current structure was built in the 1930s to replace the original lodge which burned down in the late 20s. Bascom Lodge was designed in the craftsman style by Joseph McArthur Vance, an architect from the neighboring city of Pittsfield, Massachusetts who designed several notable local buildings including the Colonial Theatre and the Mahaiwe Theatre. The lodge was constructed by the CCC beginning around 1933 and was opened to the public in 1937....
  • Bass Lake Ranger District - North Fork CA
    Buildings on the facility, a residence and pump house were constructed by the CCC according to the Sierra Historic Restoration Project. "Constructed in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Forest Supervisor’s house is the heart of the North Fork Headquarters compound and the beginning of the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway. As is typical for the CCC buildings of its kind, it deviates from the A-3 model designed by San Francisco architects Blanchard & Maher to accommodate its unique site."
  • Bear Brook State Park Improvements - Allenstown NH
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built "roads, trails,bridle paths, vehicle bridges, ponds for fish and waterfowl, lookouttowers, a nature observatory, shelters, picnic areas, fireplaces,campgrounds, recreational lakes, and worked on landscaping and firefighting. Today you can also find a museum devoted to the CCC in New Hampshire here."
  • Bear Mountain State Park - Tomkins Cove NY
    “Bear Mountain State Park is located on the west side of the Hudson River in Orange and Rockland counties of New York… In the 1930s the federal government under Franklin D. Roosevelt was developing plans to preserve the environment as part of the Depression-era public works programs; the Civil Works Administration and the Works Progress Administration, spent five years on projects at the park. Pump houses, reservoirs, sewer systems, vacation lodges, bathrooms, homes for park staff, storage buildings and an administration building were all created through these programs.”   (wikipedia) In addition, a report of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration from 1933 records...
  • Bend Skyliners Lodge - Bend OR
    While less famous than its contemporary, Timberline Lodge, this New Deal sponsored mountain resort also is significant as an Oregon example of WPA log architecture. The Skyliner Lodge is located in the Deschutes National Forest, west of Bend. It was completed by WPA workers in 1936 for the Skyliners Club, a group founded in 1927 to promote winter recreation in the central Oregon Cascades as well as provide search and rescue services.  Thus, the facility became an important headquarter for a group associated with developing the region’s winter recreation industry and environmental education mission. As described in the National Register of...
  • Berry Creek Development - Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest NV
    “The Forest Service’s CCC program blazed new roads and trails into prospective campgrounds, existing mines, or susceptible fore zones. The Forest Service with its ample staff of engineers and natural resource specialists provided technical expertise for CCC projects. Similarly, the technical staff assisted the Soil Conservation Service by supervising construction activities on southern Nevada flood-control projects in the lower Moapa Valley, Panaca, and Caliente. Similarities in construction and design in different forests are no coincidence. Most early ranger stations, roads, and campgrounds were built according to standard regional plans prepared by architectural engineer George Nichols in Utah. After 1938, a manual...
  • Bertha Brock Park: The Palmer Lodge - Ionia MI
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Palmer Lodge at Bertha Brock Park.  The park benefited from the work of 94 CCC enrollees working two overlapping 15 hour shifts.
  • Big Basin Redwoods State Park Improvements - Boulder Creek CA
    During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) installed a camp at Big Basin, California's first state park (1901), and built a variety of facilities for public recreation.   Big Basin was saved through the efforts of Sempervirens Club (now Fund), as one of the last and largest groves of giant coast redwoods left in the Santa Cruz Mountains. CCC men built the park headquarters (1936), an amphitheater of redwood logs, campgrounds, other park buildings and miles of trails, and probably roads and water lines, as well. For 75 years, those facilities remained virtually unchanged (one footbridge across...
  • Big Spring State Park - Big Spring TX
    "Dramatic views off of the 200-foot bluff and from the CCC-built loop road are among the featured attractions of this 382-acre park. Early morning or sunset, joggers, walkers and cyclists circle the loop, enjoying these views as they exercise. An elaborate Fourth of July fireworks display is one of the largest in the region. Other activities include picnicking, nature study and sightseeing." CCC construction: Entrance Portals, Park Road 8, Culverts, Bridges, Concession Building (currently park offices), Keeper’s Dwelling, Stone Pavilion, Restrooms, Picnic Tables, Stone Steps, and Retaining Walls. An amphitheater was designed, started, but not completed. A Stone Pump House and...
  • Bishop Mountain Lookout Cabin and Tower - Island Park ID
    The lookout buildings were constructed between 1936 and 1938 by members of Company 2515 of the CCC. The cabin was used for lookout workers until the early 1980s and can now be rented by guests.
  • Black Hawk State Historic Site, Watchtower Lodge - Rock Island IL
    The Black Hawk State Historic Site, at the intersection of the Rock and Mississippi rivers, was an important site for Native American of the Sauk and Mesquakie tribes long before European settlers forced them off the land. In the late 19th century, the site became part of an amusement park known as the Watch Tower Park. In the 1920s, the amusement park was demolished and the site became the Black Hawk State Park. It was designated as a historic site in 1987. In 1933, two hundred CCC boys moved to the site and constructed the rustic Watchtower lodge, still in use today....
  • Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge - Cambridge MD
    In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) achieved considerable infrastructural and land management improvements at the formerly-named Blackwater Migratory Bird Refuge near Cambridge Maryland. Maintained by the U.S. Biological Survey, the refuge covers an area of 8,241 acres, including marshes and waters where black ducks and blue-winged teal breed and mallards and pintails concentrate. The site is also refuge to a variety of shorebirds and other wild animals. In a December 1933 press release, the U.S. Department of Agriculture outlined the role played by CCC workers at the refuge: “C.C.C. camps were established…with a view to making the refuges more attractive...
  • Bly Ranger Station - Bly OR
    "Development of the Bly Ranger Station began in 1935 when the Forest Service acquired a 4-acre (16,000 m2) site in Bly for a district ranger station to manage the western part of the Fremont National Forest. The Forest Service paid $625 for the property. The ranger station was built by Civilian Conservation Corps workers stationed at nearby Camp Bly with the help of some experienced local men, all under the supervision of Forest Service district ranger Perry Smith. Construction was based on designs by E.U. Blanchfield, architect for the Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Region. The seven original buildings at the...
  • Bly Ranger Station Compound - Bly OR
    “The Civilian Conservation Corps and local experienced men, under the supervision of the U.S. Forest Service, constructed the Bly Ranger Station compound between 1936 and 1942. The compound, made up of both administrative and residential buildings, continues to service and house employees of the Fremont National Forest to this day. The Bly Ranger Station compound is on the National Register of Historic Places (March 11, 1981). Historically and architecturally, the Bly Ranger Station compound is important to the community of Bly and to the residents of the Sprague River Valley. As administrative headquarters of the Bly Ranger District, it represents the...
  • Bonham State Park - Bonham TX
    The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam to impound a sixty-five-acre lake. CCC Company 894 constructed buildings of local cream-colored limestone and Eastern red cedar, working under the supervision of Bonham architect Joe C. Lair and San Antonio architect William C. Caldwell. The overall design exhibits a WPA rustic style. The CCC built the entrance portal, concession building (currently the park headquarters and storage facility), waterfront storage building...
  • Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge - San Antonio NM
    In 1936 the Bureau of Biological Survey (BBS) determined that Bosque del Apache site was suitable for a migratory bird refuge. Condemnation of the land was initiated through the 1931 Migratory Bird Conservation Act and concluded in December 1936. The landowner  was paid around $12/acre for about 57,000 acres. The refuge was formally established by executive order of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939. Between 1939 and 1942 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Work Progress Administration (WPA) sent in teams of relief workers to restore the refuge land under the guidance of the BBS, which became the US Fish &...
  • Boy Scout Hut - Watonga OK
    On the northwest corner of 6th and Leach, this Boy Scout Hut is located in a park area. This is a one-story native stone building, with an entrance facing east and located in a slight projected portion of the building. A sign shows that it is occupied as a hut for Cub Scout Pack 183. It was constructed in 1935 with an appropriation of $9,806. The roof is hipped and covered with composition shingles. The entrance projection has a reversed gable. The windows are currently large one-over-one double hung, with a couple of them covered with metal siding. An historical photo...
  • Brecksville Nature Center - Brecksville OH
    "Brecksville Nature Center was created in 1939 by Works Progress Administration craftsmen. Excellent examples of chestnut carpentry with curved walnut leaves, wrought iron work and native stones grace the building inside and out."
  • Brewer Scout Cabin - Solomon KS
    "This log cabin in Solomon City Park retains a high degree of integrity and was listed on the National Register in 2000... The Brewer Scout Cabin was constructed for the Boy and Girl Scouts in Solomon by the CWA using local labor. Materials (timber, stone) were obtained locally. The WPA awarded $7,380 for park improvements, including the scout cabin, in 1935."
  • Brimfield State Forest - Brimfield MA
    The CCC assisted in the development of this state forest. From Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: "This rustic shelter is the only one of its type still remaining. Dingley Dell Dam was another important CCC project at this forest, where there are many CCC camp buildings still remaining."
  • Bronx Park, Ranaqua - Bronx NY
    New York City's Parks Department writes: "Ranaqua, the Bronx headquarters of the Department of Parks & Recreation of the City of New York, is located in the southeastern part of Bronx Park, east of the northbound lanes of the Bronx River Parkway. The name is the Reckgawank Algonquin (Delaware) word for "End Place," the peninsula originally sold to Jonas Bronck in 1639. The three-story brick building, with its adjacent garages, yards and shops, was built by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) and opened by Robert Moses in 1937."
  • Brown County State Park: North Gatehouse - Nashville IN
    Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse is one of two at Brown County State Park. The gatehouse was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the gatehouse is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: West Gatehouse - Nashville IN
    Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The west gatehouse is one of two at Brown County State Park. It was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the gatehouse is classified as parks rustic.
  • Bukolt Park - Stevens Point WI
    Bukolt Park was originally known as Water Works Park: "As with Iverson and Goerke Parks, Water Works Park got its big push during the recovery period of the 1930s when WPA construction was at its peak. Major improvements included landscaping, parkways, fireplaces, beautification of the lagoon including bridges and in 1935 and 1936 construction of the bathhouse, beach area, ramps and a diving tower. A large lodge built in the park was completed in 1940. On May 5, 1936, the council renamed the park the John J. Bukolt Park in honor of the founder of the Automatic Cradle Manufacturing Company, now Lullabye Furniture...
  • Cabin Lake Guard Station - Bend OR
    Forty miles southeast of Bend, Oregon, the Cabin Lake Guard Station served as a district ranger station and headquarters for the Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest from 1921 through 1945. Members of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, located adjacent to the ranger station from 1934 to 1938, contributed to the area’s development for recreational use as well as improved its function for the Forest Service. The CCC camp members built seven buildings for the ranger station, including the existing guard station building.  Six of these structures (ranger residences, a warehouse, maintenance shop, and a gas station) remain...
  • Camp Lassen - Tehama County CA
    Construction on Camp Lassen's Chico main lodge was begun in September 1935 with funds from the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) and completed the following spring. The Chico Meadows site was cleared from forest lands originally leased from the Diamond Match Association by the Mount Lassen Area Council (now the Golden Empire Council) of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The building contains a complete kitchen and dining hall, a stage for performances, administrative offices, and living quarters for the camp director and camp caretaker. While the space was originally built for the use of BSA troops, the camp was...
  • Camp Lee Canyon - Clark County NV
    The facilities of Camp Lee Canyon were constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration.
  • Camp Long - Seattle WA
    Camp Long is a 68-acre park in West Seattle. The park was constructed with WPA help starting n 1937. It was dedicated in 1941. WPA work in the park includes extensive rock work, the construction of a golf course, cabins and lodges and the first climbing wall in the world (see separate page on Schurman Rock).
  • Carlos Avery Game Farm - Forest Lake MN
    In 1936 the WPA developed the area of Carlos Avery Game Farm, now the Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, and constructed several buildings on the site. From the National Register of Historic Places nomination: Located within the 23,000 acre Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, the district includes eleven buildings, three structures, and one non-contributing building. The buildings at the Game Farm are designed in the Colonial Revival Style. All buildings and structures are considered contributing unless otherwise noted. 1. Entrance Gateway - The entrance to the Carlos Avery Game Farm is defined by an elaborate gateway flanked by stone pylons. Each gate...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11