- Bly, OR
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Lodges, Ranger Stations and Visitor Centers
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- E. U. Blanchfield - Architect
"Development of the Bly Ranger Station began in 1935 when the Forest Service acquired a 4-acre (16,000 m2) site in Bly for a district ranger station to manage the western part of the Fremont National Forest. The Forest Service paid $625 for the property. The ranger station was built by Civilian Conservation Corps workers stationed at nearby Camp Bly with the help of some experienced local men, all under the supervision of Forest Service district ranger Perry Smith. Construction was based on designs by E.U. Blanchfield, architect for the Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Region. The seven original buildings at the Bly compound were constructed between 1936 and 1942. A modern administrative headquarters building was added to the compound in the 1960s.
The original structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps still exist and are all in excellent condition. Because of Bly Ranger Stations unique historic value as an early Forest Service ranger station, the compound and surrounding area was listed on the National Register of Historic Place on 11 March 1981. The entire site totals 47 acres (190,000 m2)…
The historic buildings include a district administrative office, two ranger residences, a guard residence, a warehouse, a garage, and an oil and gas house. The buildings were constructed in the Cascadian rustic architectural style using native stone and locally cut pine lumber. Wooden shingles were used for roofing. The shutters and gables have the open pine tree logo common to Forest Service structures built during the 1930s. The Civilian Conservation Corps also built a 400-foot (120 m) stone wall in front of the compound to separate the site from the parking areas long the highway."
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site