The New Jersey National Guard Armory located near McGinley Square in Jersey City, New Jersey, was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building is still in use and also serves as a recreational… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to clean and otherwise improve the old Paterson Armory on Market St. in Paterson, New Jersey, in 1936. In addition to giving the armory its first scrubbing since its construction in 1894, WPA… read more
The historic former armory at West College St. and North Central St. in Canonsburg was constructed in 1938 as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The building presently serves as a youth center. Short and Stanley-Brown: “This armory is the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted millions of dollars (not even adjusted for inflation) of improvement and development work at the Picatinny Arsenal and a sub-installation, the Lake Denmark Naval Ammunition Depot, in New Jersey. Work involved the construction… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted millions of dollars (not even adjusted for inflation) of improvement and development work at the former Raritan Arsenal in Edison, New Jersey. Work involved the construction and improvement of facilities and various utilities,… read more
From contributor Charles Swaney: “Older style National Guard Armory with dual entrances on the front façade which is predominately brick with concrete accents, art deco.” The building is not specifically listed as a New Deal project, but dates to the… read more
From contributor Charles Swaney: “Atypical National Guard Armory, which from the front façade is wider than usual, and which has predominant horizontal concrete bands across the 2nd story. The roof is flat. A basement is accessed from the rear.” The… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers dramatically improved the old Salem Armory, now National Park Service Regional Visitor Center, in Salem, Mass. WPA Bulletin: WPA workers are changing the Salem armory from a drab, neglected structure to a modern, well-kept building…. read more
The Sheboygan Armory and Auditorium was built in 1941 by the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). The Supervising Architect was Edgar Stubenrauch, based in Sheboygan. Architectural Features: The two-story structure is representative of the Streamline Moderne/WPA Moderne style. The façade… read more
The Springfield Armory began “as a major arsenal under the authority of General George Washington early in the Revolutionary War” and “began manufacturing muskets in 1794.” (www.nps.gov.) Renovation and repair was conducted under the Works Progress Administration (WPA), including razing… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at Ogdensburg’s historic State Armory building.
W.P.A. improvements to the Governor William A. O’Neill State Armory in Hartford, CT included the following projects sponsored by the Quartermaster General’s Department: Paint Armory Official Project Number: 165‐15‐2072 Total project cost: $4,449.00 Repair and improve Armory building Official Project… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a garage for the State Armory of Mounted Commands in Providence. The location and status of this project is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
The WPA provided assistance in repairing and otherwise improving the Ninth Regiment / West 14th Street Armory in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. The building is no longer extant. “The (22nd) Twenty-Second Regiment / 14th Street Armory (1863) building was… read more
“The Old West Palm Beach National Guard Armory (also known as the Palm Beach County Armory) is a historic site in West Palm Beach, Florida, United States. It is located at 1703 South Lake Avenue. On June 11, 1992, it… read more