The sidewalk along Angell Street connecting Wayland Square to the Brown University campus through the Historic Wayland Square neighborhood is WPA-built. Angell runs adjacent to the Brown athletic facilities and the Wheeler School, and is heavily trafficked by joggers… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed several miles of sidewalk in Lordsburg during the Great Depression. By 1936, they were building on average 4,000’ of sidewalk per month, with the goal of completing 40 blocks. Adhering to WPA rules,… read more
Appalachian State University, then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C), was substantially improved and developed as part of infrastructure and building construction projects on the institution’s campus. Numerous New Deal organizations, including the Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed sidewalks on the campus of what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College in Boone, North Carolina.
This narrow concrete sidewalk and stairway connecting Solano Avenue and Academy Road was built by the WPA in 1941. Located along the Arroyo Seco Parkway near the Solano Ave. Elementary School.
The Works Progress Administration built seven miles of sidewalks throughout the City of Atmore. This work was part of a WPA city-wide, sidewalk construction program. Pictured are WPA workers carrying out sidewalk construction work on U.S. Highway 31. The approximate… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) completed a project in 1937 that involved “building of a new wharf bridging and steps at the Baker’s Island lighthouse,” a project intended to improve safety at the lighthouse for both visitors and the keeper…. read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed sidewalks in New Orleans, including along Banks Street in Mid-City. WPA workers often marked their work with “sidewalk stamps” pressed into the fresh concrete — a common practice by private contractors in the early… read more
Montpelier’s 1937 Annual Report details roadwork projects undertaken in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds, including: “Berlin Street from River Street to the City line and a portion of Winooski Avenue received tar treatment for the first time.”… read more
“One of my favorite places in Providence is Blackstone Boulevard, the tree-lined, two-mile stretch of road on the East Side that is a popular destination for joggers, walkers, readers and painters. At both ends of the boulevard, there are tiny… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) reconstructed the boardwalk in Bradley Beach, New Jersey. The project “called for 800 linear feet of boardwalk, 24 feet wide, between McCabe and Newark Aves., and 800 linear feet, 34 feet wide, between Lareine… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed sidewalks along, and otherwise improved, Buckeye Road in Phoenix, Arizona during the 1930s.
“Besides constructing the amphitheater, workers from the Great Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) also helped drain the ravine which Cain Park is situated in, covering up and culverting the creek that ran through its center. Attractive landscaping, tennis courts, ball… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve many roads in San Francisco, including the stretch of California St. from Fillmore to Presidio Ave. “Consisted of narrowing the sidewalks ten feet from Fillmore to Presidio Avenue with all work… read more
The W.P.A. constructed sidewalks in Tucumcari, including on East Center Street in front of the municipally owned owned housing the the city hall and municipal court buildings. There are two imprint stamps, coordinates: 35.178135, -103.724251 35.178137, -103.723836
W.P.A. project description: “Charles River Reservation, Cambridge; a supplementary project for the completion of, and additional improvements of, the Charles River Reservation between Charles River Dam and Mount Auburn Street was approved in November of 1938 and work will be… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers constructed a bathing beach and recreation site along the Charles River by the end of Longfellow Bridge, in 1936. The project included a baseball diamond, benches, and shelters. WPA Bulletin: Children from Boston’s hot and… read more
The CWA carried out street improvement work in Convalecencia Town Square, Río Piedras.