The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) put many men to work starting in 1935 with a Bronx street repair and maintenance project along roads throughout the borough. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were surfaced… read more
Then known as West Texas State Teachers College, the campus of what is now West Texas A&M University (WTAMU) was greatly impacted by the New Deal. Notably, multiple sizable construction projects were accomplished with the aid of Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds…. read more
The Western Promenade is an historic promenade, 18.5 acres (7.5 ha) public park and recreation area in Portland, Maine’s West End neighborhood. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes a number of historic properties, including… read more
According to the index of WPA projects at the National Archives, WPA crews both helped improve the water system and constructed sidewalks in the Woodside Park subdivision.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built sidewalks all over the city of Oakland, including here at 51st Avenue and East 12th Street. Two sidewalk stamps at this location, one in the street next to the curb and one on the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (1939) built a sidewalk at Auburn and Harwood Avenues in East Oakland. It was one of many sidewalks constructed by the WPA around the city. Date stamps in sidewalks were a common practice in the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built concrete sidewalks, curbs and gutters all over the city of Oakland, including here on Clifton Street in the Rockridge neighborhood. There is a sidewalk stamp reading “W.P.A. 1940” in the gutter at the corner… read more
The concrete sidewalks that surround and lead up to the historic Denton County Courthouse are considered to be contributing structures in this historic district, and they were built by the Works Progress Administration between 1934 and 1935. The registration form… read more
Sayville’s Suffolk County News reported that the construction of “approximately two miles of sidewalks at East Moriches,” New York, was a town-sponsored WPA project. The Federal government was expected to contribute about $18,000 toward the project. The project included sidewalk… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed sidewalks along Elsie Ave. and Bancroft Ave. in San Leandro, California: “WPA 1939” is stamped into the sidewalk in several places along Elsie Avenue. “WPA 1940” is stamped along Bancroft Avenue. Elsie Avenue… read more
The Works Project Administration (WPA) did extensive sidewalk construction along Oakland’s Lakeshore Ave, and there are still many stamps reading “WPA 1940” and “WPA 1941”. By 1940, the WPA had come under the direction of the Federal Works Administration (FWA)… read more
“Memorial Park is located between Classen Blvd. and Western Avenue, just south of N.W. 36th Street. It was established in 1908 and is a beautiful, historic park. Winding through this area are numerous concrete walking paths, and every 10-15 ft…. read more
The concrete staircase connecting Hoover Avenue and Oakview Drive was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939.