The monumental Moderne-style Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building, sometimes known as the William Penn Annex, was constructed under the auspices of the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1937 and 1941. Its exterior features multiple examples of New Deal… read more
The historic Rockdale County Courthouse building in Conyers, Georgia was constructed with federal funds as the community’s post office ca. 1939. The building housed an example of New Deal artwork, which has since been relocated.
Rome, New York’s Historical Society & Museum occupies what was originally constructed as the city of Rome’s post office in 1936-7. The building was funded with federal Treasury Department funds. A New Deal mural painted for the building now resides… read more
"This is one of the more interesting post-office buildings in which the design avoids tradition. It is fireproof except for the roof, which is slow-burning construction. The exterior walls are a blue-gray brick trimmed with Indiana limestone and the spandrels… read more
Construction of the Santa Clara post office was completed in 1935 during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the federal government. It is also the site of Michael von Meyer’s 1937 wood carving, “Early Pioneers,” available for view in… read more
Phone: (831)423-0109 Access Hours: M-F 5am-7 pm; Sat 5am-6 pm Constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1936, this building is home to Henrietta Shore’s murals depicting Santa Cruz industry: “Cabbage Farming,” “Limestone Quarries,” “Artichoke,” and “Fishing.”
The Seaford Museum and Seaford Historical Society in Seaford, Delaware are located in what was formerly the community’s 1934 New Deal post office. “The Seaford Museum includes a changing exhibit gallery, a presentation room, a general information area, and a… read more
Now known as the Springer Cultural Center, what was then the main post office for Champaign, Illinois received a New Deal-era addition. Actually, the building received an addition in 1929, though it was razed seven years later to accommodate the… read more
“This building to the west of the Capitol Building was built as Salem’s Post Office at a cost of $310,000, and was dedicated on October 16, 1937. It was the only marble post office west of the Mississippi River beside… read more
The historic former Sugar House Station post office was constructed in 1939-1940 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is now privately owned. NHRP Nomination form: The May 7, 1936 edition of the Sugar House Bulletin reported a “rousing talk”… read more
The historic Terminal Annex Federal Building in Dallas, Texas was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses examples of New Deal artwork inside, was constructed in 1936 and is still in use today.
The one-story, brick Colonial Revival style post office was constructed in 1939. It is currently in use as the Chancery Clerk’s office. Details include a basement, semicircular granite steps leading to the entrance, cast iron railings, and a limestone frieze… read more
Constructed in 1935-6, this historic Beaux Arts federal building “originally housed the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, and served it as Tallahassee’s main post office until the early 1970s. In 1979, the courthouse was listed… read more
Now known as the Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House, the historic United States Post Office, Court House and Custom House in Louisville, Kentucky was constructed in 1931-2, before the advent of the New Deal. However, in “1936, with… read more
This New Deal Post Office in Beckley was built with Treasury Department funds in 1933.
Now an apartment building, the old Art Modern United States Courthouse and Post Office in Kansas City housed the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri until 1998. The GSA lists significant events in the building’s development: 1935:… read more
This three-story example of Classical Revival architecture was designed by Edgar Love; Miller, Martin & Lewis. The building, which was constructed and completed in 1936 and which no longer houses a post office, became listed on the National Register of… read more
The historic former post office and federal courthouse building in Florence, South Carolina was constructed during the early 20th century and received a large addition constructed during the 1930s with federal Treasury Department funds. The extension and remodeling work was… read more
New Deal funds enabled an addition to the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Muskogee. “The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is an excellent example of the Classical Revival style. Containing five floors plus a basement, the building gives the… read more
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in San Juan was built in 1914 with a New Deal-era addition constructed in 1938-1940. Now known as Jose V. Toledo Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse,… read more
The Great Falls Post Office and Courthouse was built in 1912. It was designed by James Knox Taylor and reflects Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals architecture and Second Renaissance Revival architecture. A New Deal extension was completed in 1938… read more
Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal. “In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building…. read more
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the United States Post Office in Jacksonville TX. The building is now the Landmark Event Center. The 1933 Jacksonville Post Office is a significant example of the small town post office designs produced by… read more
Cleveland’s historic University Center Station post office was constructed with federal funds in 1935-6. Designed by R. Stanley-Brown, the building houses examples of New Deal artwork.
St. Louis’s historic University Station post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the Great Depression. The building was completed in 1938 and is still in use today. A New Deal mural, “The Louisiana Purchase Exposition,” hangs inside.