1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Admiralty Cove Shelter - Admiralty Island AK
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers built a shelter at Admiralty Cove as part of the Admiralty Island Canoe Route, created from 1933 to 1937. This route included shelters, portages, dams, cabins, boathouses, and skiffs and was part of a program to enhance recreational opportunities in Alaska. The CCC structure serves as a boat shelter today and is located on the site of the Admiralty Cove Cabin.    
  • Allegany State Park - Salamanca NY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted major development work at New York's Allegany State Park between 1933 and 1942.
  • Allegheny National Forest - PA
    "The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided jobs to people willing to work towards reforestation of cut-over timber land and was the progenitor organization of the Allegheny National Forest. A number of CCC camps and CCC associated property types are located within the  Forest including planted red pine plantations, including the first such effort at reforestation by the CCC in the United States." (https://www.fs.usda.gov) "The second CCC camp in the country opened on the Allegheny National Forest. These newest enrollees came to the Forest from Pittsburgh, the hard coal region around Scranton, south Philadelphia, and the deep South. They were immediately put to work...
  • Allis State Park - Randolph VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Vermont's Allis State Park during the 1930s. "They built up the access roads, constructed a massive timber picnic shelter, picnic grounds and a campground."
  • Allison Ranger Station, Snow Mountain Ranger District - Malheur National Forest OR
    Located in the Snow Mountain Ranger District of the Malheur National Forest (transferred from the Ochoco National Forest in 2003), the Allison Ranger Station can be described as historically  significant given its age and continuous use in the administration of the Forest Service’s responsibility for this relatively remote area in the Ochoco Mountains of eastern Oregon. The timber and summer forage have been important to the local economy’s lumber and stock-raising industries. The Allison Ranger Station served as the administrative headquarters for the district from 1911 until the 1950s when the headquarters was moved to Hines, Oregon. At that time, the...
  • Anacostia Park: Improvements - Washington DC
    Anacostia Park is one of Washington DC's two largest parks and recreation areas, along with Rock Creek Park.  It covers over 1200 acres along the Anacostia River from South Capitol Street SE to the Maryland boundary in NE.  The New Deal improved the park in major ways, after the Capital Parks system was put under the control of the National Park Service (NPS) by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1933. New Deal public works agencies developed such key features of the park as Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens, Langston Golf Course and Anacostia Pool (see linked pages). Besides those major elements, improvements included,...
  • Battle Mountain State Park - Ukiah OR
    In 1935, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp was located at Battle Mountain State Park to improve that state recreational property. The CCC workers built a water system with drinking fountains and a large granite fireplace as well as placing picnic tables throughout the park. The park is located on State Highway 395, nine miles north of the town of Ukiah.  
  • Beach Stabilization - Warrenton OR
    Stabilization of Clatsop County's coastal dunes was the primary work project of CCC enrollees from Camp Warrenton from 1933 to about 1940. Soon after the completion of the south jetty on the Columbia River in 1913, beach erosion became a significant issue on the county's coastline as far south as Gearhart, Oregon. Soil scientists encouraged experimentation with planting Holland Dune Grass to stabilize dunes and to prevent road closures and property damage due to blowing sand. By 1936, soil scientists and local residents already noted improvements. In 1940, the success of the experiment was established. A 1940 article in The Oregonian reported: "There...
  • Beddington CCC Camp Co 1127 P64 - Aurora ME
    The current Deer Lake Campground in Township34 ME is the location for the Beddington CCC Camp. Excerpt from "Official Annual, 1937, Civilian Conservation Corps": "On May 1935, a cadre of men from Bar Harbor moved into the woods, thirteen miles off the Airline, a road running across country from Bangor to Calais, and pitched tents on the shore of Deer Lake, situated in Township No. 34. The construction began under the command of Lt. Tuttle, assisted by Lt. Wyman. From this cadre grew the 1127th Co., and near the latter part of July the Forestry department moved in under the supervision of...
  • Big Lake CCC Camp Improvements - Cloquet MN
    From 1933 to 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted 304 acres of “white pine, Norway pine, Scotch pine, and jack pine.”
  • Birch Creek Camp - Dillon MT
    The Birch Creek Camp was located in Beaverhead County. The ranger station was on Birch Creek, about two miles above the campsite. A group of twenty-five Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers and one officer were first taken to the site location to build the camp in April of 1935. A total of 200 workers ended up at the camp. They arrived about 2-3 weeks after the initial 25 had arrived. Birch Creek was a “show camp,” meaning it was staged to impress dignitaries on tour for the Fort Missoula CCC District. The first major project assigned to the Birch Creek...
  • Blue Hills Reservation - Milton MA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Civil Works Administration (CWA), and Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted extensive development work at Massachusetts's Blue Hills Reservation. Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission annual reports detail the work of the CCC over time. 1933 report: "In the latter part of June a Civilian Conservation Camp was established by the National Park Service for Emergency Conservation Work for State Parks in the Blue Hills Reservation near Randolph Avenue. The camp was in charge of U. S. Army Officers. The enlisted men in the camp varied from 212 to 145. The work of the men in the reservation has been handled by a...
  • Boise National Forest CCC Camp - Atlanta ID
    The Boise National Forest CCC Camp (F-78) was located near Atlanta, and left permanent structures there and in Garden Valley. From the National Forest Service: "In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Boise National Forest to protect timber and watershed resources in southwestern Idaho. The Forest Service added lookouts, campgrounds, and roads, assisted by hundreds of young men enrolled in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the Great Depression, Deadwood Lookout and Atlanta Ranger Station were built by the CCC—now available for overnight rental." Also from the Forest Service: "Atlanta Cabin is located in the old mining town of Atlanta, Idaho, at an...
  • Bootjack CCC Camp Co. 1925 - Mariposa CA
    This camp operated out of the location of an abandoned hotel in the former mining town of Bootjack in the Mother Lode area of California. According to various articles written for the local newspaper by the camp members, tasks performed were road construction, water infrastructure, and fire fighting. In late 1936, the camp was transfered to Tehachapi. I haven't had the means of determining yet if they returned to the location, since that was hinted at in the newspaper articles by officials of the New Deal.
  • Breakheart Reservation - Saugus MA
    The Civilian Coservation Corps (C.C.C.) was active at the Breakheart Reservation in Saugus, Mass. 1934 Metropolitan District Commission annual report: "Under Chapter 338, Acts of 1934, the Commission were authorized to purchase about 650 acres of land in Saugus and Wakefield, adjacent to the Lynn Fells Parkway, near the junction of the Newburyport Turnpike. This area, which has been named Breakheart Reservation, will be developed into one of the most attractive recreation parks in the Metropolitan District. Application has been made for establishing a Civilian Conservation Camp by the National Park Service of the United States Department of the Interior." 1936 report: "About 3,000 man hours...
  • Bridgton CCC Camp Co. 1124 - Bridgton ME
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Bridgton CCC Camp Co. 1124 in Bridgton ME. "History of the 1124th Company. Civilian Conservation Corps. On June 1st, 1935, Lt. J. L. Fearer arrived in Bridgton with a cadre of 23 men from the Rangeley Camp No. 2107, and Bridgton Camp No. 11005 was officially begun. For a time the Cadre was quartered in the "Exposition Building" of the Bridgton Agricultural Association. The members of the cadre worked diligently, and under Lt. Fearer' s direction civilian carpenters rushed the construction of the buildings. Lt. F. R. Blaisdell, Jr. was assigned to the Company on June 23,...
  • Burlingame State Park - Charlestown RI
    "During the 1930s, taking advantage of the public works programs offered by the Depression-era New Deal, Burlingame became home to the 141st Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was the first, the state headquarters, and one of five such camps in Rhode Island. Beginning in 1933, out of work young men, in their late teens and early twenties were put to work making roads and trails. In addition they built fire places, camp sites, and picnic areas, while making recreational improvements to the beaches of Watchaug Pond. Forest management activities went on throughout Rhode Island, particularly in the aftermath of...
  • Camp Angeles Crest - Pasadena CA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Angeles Crest (F-384) was established in Oak Grove Park, in Pasadena, California, July 1936 (Oak Grove Park is now called “Hahamongna Watershed Park”).  The camp was in operation until at least 1941, and for much of that time (perhaps the entire time) it was the home of CCC Company 903. Camp Angeles Crest and Company 903 were chosen by the CCC’s Ninth Corps Area to create an education model for the Corps.  “Such courses as erosion control, road building, surveying, U.S. Forest Service training, mechanics, etc., were included in the curriculum, and through this vocational training...
  • Camp Buckeye CCC Camp - Sequoia National Park CA
    This camp was located on the boundary line of the south side of Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Mountain Range. Originally a side camp constructed by Company 4759 based at Camp Red Fir. Permanent occupation by the 1493rd Company, Camp Buckeye SNP-9 was October 13, 1937. The Company was organized at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, April 1933 where they were involved in reforestation of 200,000 acres. In late 1934 the company was moved to Camp Maestri, located 9 miles NE of Bogalusa Louisiana. The move to California was October 9, 1937. Work accomplished by the 1493rd was highway improvement on...
  • Camp Elk River (former) - Elk River ID
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp at Elk River, Idaho, in 1933. It was designated as Camp F-133 (a Forest Service camp). Elk River is a small town in mid-panhandle Idaho, west of the Clearwater Range. The main activities of the CCC enrollees were probably tree planting and road work. We know from the attached photograph that the camp was active in 1934 and CCC company 1238 had been installed there. Elk River campground near the village of Elk Creek looks to have been built by the CCC and might be on the location of the former CCC camp. It...
  • Camp Greenbrier - Hines WV
    Located on CCC Road, the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Greenbrier was set up on private land in Hines, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Camp Greenbrier was under W.V. Division of Forestry and occupied by Company 1539, 6/23/1933 - 8/30/1935 and Company 2593, 7/1/1935 - 1/11/1936.
  • Camp Hope NJ Location - West Milford NJ
    Situated near Greenwood Lake in upper West Milford, NJ, Camp Hope was initially developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1201 as Camp S-68 to house workers working at the Newark Waterworks. Following the closure of the worker’s barracks, the cabins sat abandoned for roughly two years. Freedmen Ernest T. Scheidemenn pushed for the County of Passaic to grant them access to the cabins at Smith Mills (now West Milford) instead of demolishing them to turn them into a children’s summer recreation camp “for the undernourished and underprivileged children of Passaic County.” (Paterson News, February 7, 1938, 1) After being...
  • Camp Lacretia - Villa Rica GA
    Located on the original Bankhead Highway, also known as the Villa Rica-Carrollton Road (1917 route) the Williams Family farm is southwest of Villa Rica, Georgia. The farmhouse was built in 1891 and the farm remained in business in the Great Depression. In the 1930s, Felix Williams with the assistance of the Carroll County Commissioner went to Washington, DC to lobby for a CCC camp on the farm. Their efforts were award a camp on 18 August1935. A portion of the farm was leased to the CCC. In 1936 the CCC built a road from the Carrollton-Villa Rica Road to the...
  • Camp New Brighton - Capitola CA
    A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established at Capitola, just east of Santa Cruz,  for the purpose of working on nearby California beach state parks, such as New Brighton, Capitola, and Sea Cliff.  The California state parks system had only been created c 1930, so all these beach parks needed work on recreational facilities.  It was officially camp SP-24 (for State Parks) and was active in the late 1930s, but we do not have exact dates.  We know that Company 5447 arrived there in late 1937, when the camp already existed, and worked there for some time on local parks....
  • Camp S-59-Md (Demolished) – Oakland MD  
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-59-Md was located in what is known today as Swallow Falls State Park, Oakland, Maryland.  It was the home of CCC Company 304. The work of Company 304 included road construction and firefighting.  From the park’s main parking lot, three CCC-built structures can be seen today – the park office, pavilion, and stone restroom. At nearby Herrington Manor State Park, the men of Company 304 built a dam & lake, cabins, bathhouse and more. These structures are still in use. The enrollees of Company 304 produced the camp newspaper Youghiogheny Digest (pronounced yaa-kuh-gay-nee). Numerous editions of it can be found at...
  • Camp Salt Creek - Three Rivers CA
    Located on the outskirts of the Sequoia National Park, Camp Salt Creek was constructed on October 12, 1937 by Company 5449, SNP-10. The type of work done at Camp Salt Creek was fire prevention, construction of horse and truck trails, highway maintenance, & building and maintaining communication systems. Company 5449 of note captured 117 rattlesnakes that were sent to the Biological Survey in Washington DC. The Company was originally formed in May 1936 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. After training, moved to West Augusta Virginia May 27, 1937 to take over Camp NF-3-VA from the 2357th Company in Ramsey's Draft in George Washington...
  • Camp Sisters Improvements - Camp Sherman OR
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Sisters (F-110, Company #1454) at Camp Sherman, Oregon operated near the headwaters of the Metolius River in Jefferson County from 1933 to 1942. It was just one of the average 60 CCC camps that worked each year in the state during that period. Originally planned to be near Sisters, Oregon rather than at the unincorporated Camp Sherman site, its name tends to confuse Oregonians. The CCC, however, found this position on the Metolius more in keeping with project needs so located it where the (Camp Sherman) Riverside Campground is found today. The CCC men constructed...
  • Camp Tuna Canyon (demolished) - Tujunga CA
    Camp Tuna Canyon (P-233) in Tujunga, California was established in 1934.  For most or all of its existence (1934-1941) it was the home of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 902. Company 902 installed telephone lines for the Los Angeles County Forest Department, constructed several fire lookout towers, and fought numerous fires, including “the Brown Mountain fire of 1934, the Malibu fires of 1935 and 1936, the Tehachapi fire of 1936, the Bouquet Canyon fire of 1937, the Big Pines fire of 1937, and the Oakmont Country Club fire of 1937” (CCC Annual, L.A. District, 1938). The young men of Company 902 also...
  • Camp War (P-63) - War WV
    Located on private land about 5 miles east of War and on the edge of Cucumber (town, likely a coal camp at one point) in McDowell County along WV Route 16. Occupied on 11 July 1935 with CCC Company 3538-C. The C at the end notes this was a colored CCC camp. McDowell county was a heavily black community noting several entries in the Negro Green Book for decades. This is the only black CCC Company to serve in West Virginia although they worked also at S-77 (Camp Carver/Panther State Forest) and S-76 (Camp Kanawha). This camp worked on fire protection and...
  • Cattle Corrals and Scale House (former) - Golconda NV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a camp in Golconda NV during the 1930s (though we are not able to determine the exact years).  While in Golconda, the CCC enrollees constructed "community cattle corrals and scale house".  These facilities were still standing in 1992, but seem to have disappeared, as of a visit in 2020. The corrals and scale house might have been in a site near the railroad, as shown in the photograph below.  Golconda has fallen on hard times, and it appears to no longer serve the cattle or mining industries.
  • CCC Bridge (replaced) - Wheeler OR
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp Nehalem were charged with constructing a truck trail, or fire road, along the lower Nehalem River to create greater access to the forested land in that part of Tillamook County. One of the first requirements involved building a bridge to cross the Nehalem River just north of their camp. Construction of the bridge near Camp Nehalem drew attention since it was judged to be one of the largest bridges in the northwest built as a CCC project. The Oregon Journal reported: ". . . the boys cut the trees, hewed the timbers, mixed and 'applied' the...
  • CCC Camp - Callao UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp near the town of Callao, west-central Utah. It is unknown to us which years the camp operated. From their base of operations in the camp, CCC workers constructed a road over Sand Pass and erosion terraces, fences, and reservoirs on range lands. They also built campgrounds (possibly in what is now Big Basin National Park). When the camp closed, one of the camp buildings was moved to the town of Callao UT, where it was used first as a Mormon Church and later as an elementary school.  A site presently known as 'CCC campground', lying...
  • CCC Camp - Elmhurst IL
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company 1672 built a camp in Elmhurst IL. "In December 1933, Elmhurst welcomed CCC company 1672. The company consisted of more than 200 army veterans, and they quickly set to work building a camp near North Avenue and Villa Avenue to the northwest of town. However, their work orders were delayed, and in May of the following year the company was dispatched to Rockford. Camp Elmhurst was temporarily vacant until the end of that summer. CCC Company 2602, under the command of Captain Leland S. Powers, arrived at Camp Elmhurst on August 10, 1934 with the assigned...
  • CCC Camp - Leeds UT
    In 1933, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp opened in Leeds, UT, at the site of a Dixie National Forest Service ranger station. Stone from Silver Reef, a nearby silver mining ghost, was used to construct the camp's four administrative buildings, which are now the only surviving CCC camp structures in Utah. According to the Washington County Historical Society, "A large crowd attended the dedication of this camp on November 11, 1933. The American Legion conducted the program and the Dixie College Band played the music. Leeds, a town of less than 200, more than doubled with the opening of...
  • CCC Camp - Lewiston ME
    The 1933 town report includes a photograph of a CCC camp, which was CO.132nd P-59 and operated from June 1933 to May 1937 for the Maine Forest Service in protection from insects & disease. It was located on the property of the Town Farm in the far SE of the city.
  • CCC Camp - Molokai HI
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built a camp on Molokai for 36 enrollees. The expenditure was $23,545.48. The CCC worked in forested areas, known today as the Palaau State Park, in the vicinity of this camp: “In 1936, a nursery was started as part of the Emergency Conservation Work project, or the Civilian Conservation Corps and trees were grown for outplanting at Palaau." The caption of a photo file in the State Division of Forestry and Wildlife "reads, ‘1,665 ft. elevation CCC tree planting. Type of cover shrub guava, lantana and akia’ In 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps began to...
  • CCC Camp - Mount Clare WV
    According to a plaque: "In 1935 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established Camp Harrison on the site . This camp was one of 67 in West Virginia during the New Deal era." There is now in this location a museum dedicated to the CCC in West Virginia.
  • CCC Camp - Petrified Forest National Park AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) first arrived in Petrified Forest National Monument in 1933, setting up camp at Rio Puerco.  There seems to have been a pause before a new company arrived in 1936 and another in 1938.  The camp numbers were PNM-1 and 2 and one of the companies was #3342. During their time in the Petrified Forest, the CCC enrollees built the Painted Desert Inn, two groups of ranger residences, the trail system, and a water pipeline, as well as paving and improving the park's roads. Petrified Forest became a National Park in 1962.
  • CCC Camp - Ravenna NE
    In July 1934, the Kearney Daily Hub announced that a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp would be developed at Ravenna. The camp would be responsible for soil erosion projects in northern Buffalo County and southern Sherman County. Two hundred young men would build land dams, terrace fields, plant trees, and do other conservation work on the land in this portion of the state. They would also be responsible for improving the lake. The camp would be set up at the state lake site at Ravenna. At first, a temporary camp was set up with tents. If the camp was to be...
  • CCC Camp - Trimmer CA
    According to an old topographic map, a CCC camp was located near the resort of Trimmer CA in the Sierra National Forest. The camp was involved in forestry work, F-224, Co.1986 was based there starting 10/31/1939. There was also a Works Progress Administration (WPA) camp nearby. Both locations were inundated following the construction of the Pine Flat Dam by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1957. "Company 1986, F-224 was originally organized out of Fort Knox, Kentucky in May 1933 in the start of the CCC program. Before setting up Camp Trimmer, the Company occupied Chiquito in the Sierra National Forest,...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7