1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Geneva State Park: CCC Camp Co. No. 2421 SP - Geneva AL
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Co. No. 2421 SP was created at Geneva State Forest in what was previously cleat-cut land, part of a land holding of timberlands owned by the Jackson Lumber Company. The lumber company donated the land to the State of Alabama instead of paying property taxes on land they could no longer exploit.  The Geneva State Forest was originally known as C.C.C. Co. No. 2421, SP-1. The camp was under the leadership of Captain M.G. Denton. According to Robert Pasquill, Jr. book, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Alabama, 1933-1942: A Great and Lasting Good the C.C.C. Co. No. 2421...
  • Gifford Woods State Park - Killington VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Vermont's Gifford Woods State Park during the 1930s. "Development of Gifford Woods State Park began in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps ...  In 1933 and 1934, CCC crews constructed the park office and ranger’s quarters, picnic area, stone restroom building, trails, the park entrance and parking area. In 1939 the CCC constructed a camping area."
  • Grand Teton National Park - WY
    "Camps were set up at several locations in the valley, at Leigh Lake, Lizard Point, and "Hot Springs" near Colter Bay. In 1934, Camp NP-4, the most prominent camp, was built at the south end of Jenny Lake. CCC crews manned this camp through 1942. Civilian Conservation Corps laborers worked on a variety of projects. The Superintendent's Report for August 1936 listed the following: landscaping headquarters; improvement and development of a campground at Jenny Lake; construction of fireplaces; construction of barriers at Jenny Lake campground; construction of table and bench combinations at Jenny Lake; construction of permanent employees' dwellings headquarters; extension...
  • Green Lakes State Park - Fayetteville NY
    "During the Great Depression (1929-1939), the New York State Department of Conservation (under the administration of then-governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and later the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the park's roads, buildings, cabins, golf course and trails. CCC camps for project SP-12 were created on the property of the park. CCC company 1203, and subsequently 2211 (a company of veterans of the 1898 Spanish–American War), were assigned to the project. These men hauled loads of sand from Sylvan Beach (on nearby Oneida Lake) to create a sandy beach; they dug the basements of the park buildings by hand. The CCC...
  • Green Mountain National Forest - VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont during the 1930s. "The Depression-era legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (established in 1933 as part of Roosevelt’s “New Deal”) is reflected on the Forest. At one time during the 1930's there were 5 active CCC camps on the Forest (Mt Tabor, Weston, Peru, West River and Rochester).  The men at these camps built roads, trails and campgrounds, fought fires, planted trees and generally established much of the infrastructure of the early National Forest. Today a few of the buildings and many of the features, travel ways and landscapes...
  • Griffith Park: CCC Camps (former) – Los Angeles CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed three camps at Griffith Park in Los Angeles, CA, where they were stationed to carry out extensive improvements. The three camps, journalist Carren Jao writes, were "SP-13, which eventually was never used; SP-21, more commonly known as Camp Griffith Park and was visited by President and First Lady Roosevelt; and SP-40, which would eventually be occupied by Travel Town. All three sites would disappear from the park. The first was destroyed by fire of October 3, 1933. The latter two were dismantled as soon as CCC work in Griffith Park was deemed complete or near...
  • Guernsey State Park Development - Guernsey WY
    Guernsey State Park is built around the Guernsey Dam and Reservoir, constructed in the 1920s as a U.S. Bureau of Reclamation project along the North Platte River in  southeastern Wyoming. In the 1930s, the Bureau worked with the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to develop the area around the reservoir as a recreational park. The land is owned by the Bureau and managed by the state of Wyoming. The CCC developed the park's recreational facilities from 1934 to 1937, working out of two camps: Camp BR-9, on a bluff north of Guernsey Dam, and Camp BR-10, about a...
  • Hamlin Beach State Park - Hamlin NY
    "HAMLIN BEACH PARK is one of the largest county parks of Monroe. It has an area of 600 acres and includes a mile and a quarter of lake frontage with an excellent bathing beach. Extensive road building and other improvements are in progress, carried on by the Civilian Conservation Corps, which maintains a camp near the park. This project includes the construction of a concrete sea wall and promenade along the entire lake front, six long stone and concrete jetties to hold sand for bathing beaches, 3 miles of macadam and 2 miles of hard-surfaced roads, 2 miles of concrete...
  • Hanging Rock State Park - Danbury NC
    Hanging Rock State Park was developed as a federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project during the 1930s. "Many facilities in the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1935 and 1942. A concrete and earthen dam completed in 1938 impounded a 12-acre lake, and a stone bathhouse, diving tower and sandy beach also were built. Other facilities constructed by the CCC include a park road and parking area, a picnic area and shelter, and hiking trails. In 1991, the bathhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places." The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is also cited in some...
  • Hard Labor Creek State Park - Rutledge GA
    An onsite marker commemorates the extensive work of the CCC at this site, reading in part: "This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President Roosevelt. It was administered as a division of the U.S. Army to reclaim unusable farm land, create recreational areas, and teach young men a skill or trade. Enlistees of the CCC were paid about $30 for a six-month enlistment, $25 of which was automatically sent to the enlistee’s family. There were two CCC camps housed at the Park. The first camp, District “B” Company 450 Ga. SP-8,...
  • Hartselle CCC Camp Co. 3403 BS-1 - Hartselle AL
    "According to the CCC Camp Directory for Alabama, Camp TVA-9 operated during the fifth period, which began October 1, 1935, as a soil conservation project supervised by the Forest Service. It was reopened on October 1, 1939, designated as Camp BS-1 during the fourteenth period, working on a biological survey project at the Wheeler Pool Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. The NACCCA database shows Company 3403 establishing Camp BS-1 at Hartselle, Alabama, on October 1, 1939. On October 19, the Decatur Daily reported that the Hartselle CCC camp had reopened with the arrival of 99 men, three administrative personnel, and eight technical...
  • High Plains Grasslands Research Station Improvements - Cheyenne WY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to improve what is now the U.S. Department of Agriculture's High Plains Grasslands Research Station (then Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station), located northwest of Cheyenne, Wyoming. USDA.gov: "1935 – Many inprovements were made to the station; the main road was oiled from the entrance to the buildings. Civilian Conservation Corps camp of 200 men opened on station. They constructed roads, 2 miles of concrete lined ditches, irrigation system, planted thousands of trees and shrubs. They picked up hundreds of tons of stones from the experimental plots. And manure collected from nearby ranches was hauled in and spread over...
  • High Point State Park - Sussex County NJ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) drastically impacted New Jersey's High Point State Park. In 1933, when "the CCC boys first arrived at High Point Park, they found a relatively undeveloped 11,000-acre parcel of land. ... By the time the CCC boys were done working eight years later, they had built 25 miles of roads, two lakes, repaired the badly damaged forest, fought forest fires, cleared trails, built campgrounds and shelters, and partially completed an athletic complex. The park, as visitors enjoy it today, is largely the fruition of their efforts."
  • Illahee Flats CCC Camp - Umpqua National Forest OR
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a camp at Illahee Flats, in the North Umpqua River Valley in Oregon.  We do not know the exact years the camp was active, but enrollees from this camp almost certainly built the wooden Illahee lookout tower eight miles farther up FS-4760. The gazebo across the road from Illahee Flats is not CCC; it was built in 1928, burned in 1997 and rebuilt by the US Forest Service, along with a restroom and picnic tables. The main part of Illahee Flats is empty meadow.  There is no obvious trace of the CCC camp left nor of...
  • Indiana Dunes State Park - Chesterton IN
    The CCC first arrived at the park in 1933. Quarters were soon built for 250 CCC boys. The CCC would help build "trails, bridges, camps, shelter, and more." (https://friendofindianadunes.org/historic-page/) The CCC also built roads, gatehouses and other facilities. "A CCC camp was located at the site of Dunes Creek upstream from the Pavilion. The Company 556 was at Dunes for a short while before being moved to Pokagon State Park as Company 1563. Wilson Shelter is one of their projects. Other projects of theirs, such as the Group Camps, have been removed. A flag pole near the Nature Center is from the...
  • International Peace Garden - Dunseith ND
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the International Peace Garden during the 1930s.
  • Isle Royale National Park - MI
    "In August 1935, the the first members of Company 2699 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) arrived on Isle Royale... The CCC, made up of very young men, spent seven summers as the manpower that constructed much of the young park's infrastructure. They built the park headquarters on Mott Island, created boat campgrounds, and improved the few resorts that the park service had selected to retain. They also erected a fire tower and constructed miles of trails."
  • Itasca State Park: Development - Park Rapids MN
    Between 1933 and 1942, relief workers stationed at two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps and one Works Progress Administration (WPA) camp carried out extensive development of Itasca State Park at the headwaters of the Mississippi River.  They constructed 45 buildings in the Rustic Style, and myriad other structures, as well as creating campgrounds, picnic areas and a trail system. Buildings were constructed under the supervision of the Minnesota Central Design Office of the National Park Service and Edward W. Barber and V. C. Martin were the principal architects. According to the Minnesota Historical Society “Log construction was generally used because timber...
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest ECW CCC Camp S55 - Brownstown IN
    Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
  • Kerwin Brook CCC Camp - Wesley ME
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Kerwin Brook CCC Camp in the unincorporated area T36 MD BPP, in the vicinity of Wesley ME. 160th Company Kerwin Brook Camp (Wesley, Maine) October 1939 – June 1942 Excerpt from “In The Public Interest – The Civilian Conservation Corps In Maine” by Jon A. Schlenker, Norman A. Wetherington, Austin H. Wilkins. In October 1939, the 160th Company moved from Stow, Maine to Wesley Maine to establish the Kerwin Brook Camp. During the months from July to August, the cadre erected four barracks, a kitchen and mess hall, officers' and foreman's quarters, washrooms and toilets, a classroom building,...
  • Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, Kofa Cabin and Water Tanks - Yuma AZ
    The Kofa Refuge is named for the King of Arizona mine. It includes 666,641 acres of protected land. Kofa Refuge literature notes that the Kofa Cabin and upland water tanks for wildlife were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). In 1939, a CCC side camp was set up at the Kofa Refuge. CCC enrollees, most of them of Native American descent, worked to develop high mountain waterholes for the bighorn sheep. This work was part of a statewide conservation effort to save the bighorn sheep. The refuge is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and is currently used for camping and hunting.
  • Koke'e State Park CCC Camp - Waimea, Kauai HI
    "Civilian Conservation Corps Camp in Koke'e State Park is located at Hawaii Route 550, in Waimea, on the island of Kauai, in the U.S. state of Hawaii. It was built in 1935 with lumber that was put into the saltwater and floated to the shore at Port Allen, the seawater adding a natural termite protection to the lumber. The camp was in continual use for forest management, until Hurricane Iwa devastated it in 1982. In the 1990s it was restored through the efforts of the non-profit Hui O Laka environmental group, and is currently open to the public. It was...
  • La Purísima Mission State Historic Park: Twin CCC Camps - Lompoc CA
    Two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established at what is today the La Purísima Mission State Historical Park: Camp La Purísima and Camp Lompoc.  They were built back-to-back on the mesa above La Purísima Mission, but housed two separate companies that worked on different projects.  They shared a few officers, activities and functions, however, and came to be known as 'the Twin Camps'.  The first camp was set up on the site of Mission La Purísima in Lompoc CA in July-August 1934.  It was called Camp Santa Rosa and housed CCC company 1951, whose enrollees came mostly from Southern California (Savage, pp....
  • Lake Taghkanic State Park - Ancram NY
    NYSParks.com: "The park was donated to the State of New York in 1929 by Dr. McRa Livingston with the provision that the lake and park be named Lake Taghkanic. The lake had been previously known as Lake Charlott. In 1933 a Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) camp was established at the park. C.C.C. projects in the park included construction of the East Bathhouse, the East Beach, the camping and cabin areas and the water tower."
  • Lamoille Canyon CCC Camp - Lamoille NV
    Lamoille Canyon is the largest valley in the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada. It is a spectacular glaciated canyon with several side valleys, surrounded by peaks over 11,000 feet.  Much of the canyon lies within the huge Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest complex across Nevada and is jointly managed with the Trust for Public Land. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp in the canyon and did extensive work there, 1933-37. Camp Lamoille was the first CCC camp in Nevada, which had 54 camps overall by the end of the New Deal era.  It was located at the confluence of Lamoille Creek...
  • Lampasas State Park (former) - Lampasas TX
    In 1933, the Lampasas Chamber of Commerce raised $2,500 to buy 154 acres of land along Sulphur Creek and presented the land to the State of Texas as a site for a state park. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 896 arrived the same year, set up Camp Miriam (in honor of Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, the Governor of Texas) and began development of the park. The CCC cleared brush and cactus, built gravel roads, a native stone entrance, a concession house, a low water dam, native stone picnic tables, barbecue pits, native stone cabins, a baseball field, and a polo field....
  • Letchworth State Park - Castile NY
    A site devoted to the history of the park (www.letchworthparkhistory.com) has compiled an extensive list of CCC work done in the park: During the Great Depression, Letchworth Park was the site of several Civilian Conservation Camps. (See the Glimpse of the CCC) The information highlights the work done by the CCC "boys" in the Park, and is taken from Annual Reports of the Genesee State Park Commission during the time period. Great Bend Camp SP-5 (in operation for 30 months) constructed the camp built 6 miles of 18 ft wide gravel road installed 400 ft of 6" under drain constructed 15 concrete...
  • Lincoln State Park: CCC Camp Site - Lincoln City IN
    CCC Co. 1543 abandoned their campsite and relocated to Turkey Run in 1934. FERA workers seeded the abandoned campsite and WPA laborers salvaged the lumber.  Some remaining evidence of the CCC Camp include rock walls, ditches, and concrete foundations.
  • Los Prietos CCC Camp (former) - Santa Barbara CA
    The former Los Prietos Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was located in the Los Padres National Forest in the mountains behind Santa Barbara CA. Today, it serves as a juvenile correctional camp for boys.
  • Macedonia Brook State Park - Kent CT
    CCC Camp SP-1, 1191 was established in Macedonia Brook State Park in 1935. The CCC "did much site development here in the 1930s, including construction of a pavilion and a carriage road with massive retaining walls constructed without mortar." (www.townofkentct.org) The road, built from 1935-37, is now used for hiking and skiing. "What makes the road so outstanding is that its solid workmanship was performed by young men who had little skill in road construction other than the ability to perform hard labor day in and day out. But 75 years after its completion, the craftsmanship has mostly survived the ravages...
  • Maidstone State Park - Maidstone VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Vermont's Maidstone State Park during the 1930s. "Maidstone was designated by the state of Vermont as a state park in 1938. The camp areas were wilderness, but the area around the lodge was a Civilian Conservation Corps camp. The CCC built many sites with fireplaces for camping, the lodge, and a picnic shelter, which are still in use today."
  • McCormick's Creek State Park Recreation Center / Nature Museum - Spencer IN
    In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Recreation Center at McCormick's Creek State Park. The building served as the CCC’s Camp 589 Recreation Hall. After the CCC vacated the camp, a WPA project adapted it into a nature museum in 1935. The WPA also built an adjacent shelter to display animals. This structure is now used as a open picnic shelter. The Recreation Center was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. The architectural style of the Recreation Center is "parks rustic," a term used by the National Parks Service to classify the style of recreational park facilities.
  • Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge - Medicine Lake MT
    Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge is located in northeastern Montana between the Missouri River and the Canadian border. Medicine Lake NWR encompasses 31,702 acres and consists of the 28,438-acre north tract, which includes Medicine Lake, and seventeen smaller water units. The Refuge was established in 1935 under the auspices of the Bureau of Biological Survey to provide breeding and stopover habitat for migratory birds.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) sent workers in to improve the refuge under the direction of the Biological Survey (transformed into the US Fish & Wildlife Service in 1940). The WPA and CCC...
  • Meshomasic State Forest - Portland CT
    Meshomasic State Forest, the first such entity in all of New England, was improved and developed by the efforts of two C.C.C. camps: Camp Jenkins (C.C.C. Company #181), in operation from June 14, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1936; and Camp Buck (C.C.C. Company #1197), in operation from Sept. 13, 1935 to Jul. 22, 1941. Among the work accomplished was "pouring a cement foundation for a sawmill," "building a lumber shed, a creosoting plant, a brick charcoal kiln ...," "miles of trails," and construction of "Milford Road." Other accomplishments are linked to from this page.
  • Metropolitan Park - Tucumcari NM
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) developed Tucumcari Metropolitan Park, a.k.a. Five Mile Park, in Tucumcari, New Mexico. "At one time Tucumcari Metropolitan Park had the largest outdoor pool in the entire state of New Mexico, a playground with lots of equipment, a fully landscaped drive through park with bridges, creeks, a pistol and rifle range, a skeet and trap shooting range, and off-road course, horseback riding and was home to the then annual Founder’s Day Picnics." NRHP nomination form: "Referred to as Metropolitan Park, the park became known as Five Mile Park in the 1950s. The completed project marked a five year process...
  • Mills-Norrie State Park - Staatsburg NY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop what is now Mills-Norrie State Park during the 1930s.
  • Monongahela National Forest: Camp Nicholas P-53 - WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built Camp Nicholas P-53 in the Monongahela National Forest. Pictured are CCC crews carrying out construction activities in 1935.
  • Monongahela National Forest: CCC Camp Barracks - Lead Mine WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built camp barracks in the Monongahela National Forest, in 1933. Pictured are CCC crews and barracks under construction photographed by E.S. Shipp in September 1933. This is likely Camp Nicholas P-53.
  • Monongahela National Forest: Road Construction - WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built a road in the Monongahela National Forest. The company likely belonged to Camp Nicholas P-53.
  • Moon Lake Project: CCC Camp - Bridgeland UT
    The US Bureau of Reclamation built the Moon Lake Reclamation Project in 1935-41, with the assistance of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  It provides irrigation water for the the Moon Lake Water Users Association in the Duchesne Valley of northeastern Utah. The CCC established a camp, BR-11, under the sponsorship of the Bureau of Reclamation.  It was located near Bridgeland, a hamlet between Duchesne and Myton, on the north side of the Duchesne River.  There is no recognizable trace of the camp left that we could find. Moon Lake Dam and reservoir, built by the Bureau of Reclamation, is the principle element of...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7