“Arthurdale was the first of many New Deal planned communities established under Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. It was intended to take impoverished laborers, farmers, and coal miners and move them to a modern rural community that would allow them to… read more
One of several fire stations built in the City of Charleston under the New Deal.
The Civilian Conservation Corps completed groundwork and remade the battlefield area into an outdoors recreation area. The museum is located in a former cabin and not built as a museum. In the 1970s it was broken into and many of… read more
The structure initially housed community activities for the resettlement community in Eleanor. This is a long U-shaped side gable building designed in a roadside colonial design. It features double chimneys and had a center light tower that no longer exists.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a community center for African American residents of Wilson Hollow, Charleston, Kanawha County. The exact location and condition of this structure are unknown to the Living New Deal. The May 7, 1938 the Charleston Gazette notes… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of women’s dormitories for the Concord University (Concord State Teachers College) in Athens. Project W. Va.-1058-R. Today the building is still in service as a residence hall an operates as Sarvay Hall.
The West Virginia Department of Commerce writes: “The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and… read more
New Deal mural entitled “Captain Bilderbook’s and John Schoolcraft’s Expedition from Holiday’s Cove to Fort Henry, 1777” painted by Charles Chapman in 1940. At the time this mural was painted, this office was the main office for Holiday’s Cove, WV…. read more
Across West Virginia, the Department of Highways sponsored district headquarters and garages constructed by the Works Progress Administration. All utilized a similar airfoil design, a variation on the Quonset hut design. Built of stone.
A wastewater disposal plant construction project in Peterstown, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $10,000 loan and $4,003 grant toward the $13,979 eventual total cost of the project…. read more
The Dolly Sods Wilderness is 17,371 acres of natural area, located in Grant, Randolph, and Tucker counties, West Virginia. Visitors to the area can enjoy hiking, hunting, camping, and picnic areas. Dolly Sods Wilderness has regulations intended to preserve its… read more
J.D. Sutton, a private in the 10th West Virginia Infantry, was a veteran of the Battle of Droop Mountain. As a visionary he began the movement to preserve Droop Mountain. He and other veterans began to worry in the aftermath… read more
One of the original program markers from 1937, installed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The West Virginia historical marker program began in 1934 with the beginning research for the markers with the intention of placing markers around the state to… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a sewer system running from East Avenue, Charleston to Montrose Drive, South Charleston. “Construction of brick sewer to connect storm and sanitary sewer with sewer from East avenue to Kanawha river, also to connect under… read more
This federal building, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally occupied in 1907. According to the General Services Administration, a three-story, 100-foot extension was constructed to… read more
The historic 1907 Federal Building and United States Courthouse in Wheeling, West Virginia was expanded during the New Deal era with Treasury Department funds. Wikipedia: “The 1938 addition, built to accommodate a district courtroom, altered the symmetry of the building…. read more
Parkersburg’s historic Fifth Street Bridge was constructed between Sept. 1935 and Apr. 1937. The bridge, which crosses the Little Kanawha River, was built with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in addition to tolls from the nearby East Street Bridge…. read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Youngs Creek Bridge No. 1541 in Nallen WV. Excerpt from Legal Advertisement, Notice to Contractors, The Charleston (WV) Gazette, March 18, 1939, p. 11.: “Public Works Administration Projects Docket 1197-F… read more
The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (Public Works Administration) provided funding for the construction of Fire Station No. 5 in Charleston, West Virginia. This is one of several fire stations built in the City of Charleston under the New… read more
Currently known as the United States Department of Agriculture Building, the historic U.S. Forest Service Building in Elkins, West Virginia was constructed with Treasury Deparrment funds. Architectural details: Three-story flat roof facility built to a U-shaped plan. Red brick in… read more
The historic U.S. Forest Service Building (now United States Department of Agriculture Building) in Elkins, West Virginia houses examples of New Deal artwork: “Forest Service” and “Mining Village,” two tempera murals by Stevan Dohanos. Completed in 1939, the works were… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Youngs Creek Bridge No. 1541 in Nallen WV. Excerpt from Legal Advertisement, Notice to Contractors, The Charleston (WV) Gazette, March 18, 1939, p. 11.: “Public Works Administration Project Docket 1197-F–… read more