1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Bennett Mural - Chicago IL
    This 8' x 12' mural "Map of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign" was painted by Rainey Bennett in 1938, with the help of Federal Art Project funds.
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Edouard Chassaing Sculptures - Chicago IL
    These two limestone sculptures "Asclepius" and "Hygeia" were created by Edouard Chassaing in 1938 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Glass Mural - Chicago IL
    This mural of oil washes and casein tempera on multiple glass panes depicts "The History of Anatomy." It was painted by artists Rainey Bennett and Ralph Graham with the help of Federal Art Project funds in 1938. It was restored in 1981.
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Johnson Murals - Chicago IL
    The "Great Men of Medicine" depicted in this New Deal fresco of nine 1' x 1' panels  include Pare (shown in photo), Pasteur, Darwin, Lister, Jenner, Koch, Virchow, Melpighi, and Harvey. The frescoes were painted by Edwin Boyd Johnson in 1938 under the WPA Federal Art Project.  
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Mosaic - Chicago IL
    This mosaic mural "Signs of the Zodiac and Heavenly Bodies" was created by John Stephan in 1936 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
  • UI Medical Center, College of Medicine: Olga Chassaing Sculpture - Chicago IL
    This 3'6" x 5' sculpture entitled the "Spirit of Medicine Warding Off Disease" was created with Federal Art Project funds and has been relocated multiple times.
  • UI Medical Center, College of Pharmacy Murals - Chicago IL
    In 1937, Jefferson League painted five murals for the College of Pharmacy depicting "The Story of Natural Drugs": "Digitalis," "Opium," "Cinchona," "Quinine" and "Coca and Peyote." The murals were funded by the WPA Federal Art Project.
  • University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Medicine East Tower - Chicago IL
    This PWA building was originally the Dental College Building for the University of Illinois - Chicago. It was project #1057. Construction of the Dental Building began in 1935 when the project was proposed and backed by the PWA under Illinois director Carl H. Bauer. The Public Works Administration funded the project with a grant of $366,000 and a 20 year loan of $1,091,000. The University Foundation directed by Glen M. Hobbs awarded the contract to the J.W. Snyder company for $952,610. Other contracts amounting to $370,500 were given to Haughton Elevator and Machine Co (elevators), Divane Brothers (electric wiring), O’Callaghan Brothers...
  • Uptown Post Office - Chicago IL
    The historic Uptown Station post office in Chicago, Illinois was constructed in 1939 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service and houses an example of New Deal artwork.
  • Uptown Post Office Murals - Chicago IL
    The Uptown Post Office Murals “Carl Sandburg and Louis Sullivan” were WPA New Deal Art Projects completed in 1943 by Henry Varnum Poor. These are significant murals created by the WPA which celebrates both agriculture and poetry (Uptown PO Chicago). At the time the murals were created, Poor was an established artist - one of the few non-relief artists who was allowed on the project because many unemployed craftsmen could be put to work executing his designs. His notability also gave the projects an air of respectability (Bernstein). Poor, who was born in Chapman, Kansas, studied art at Stanford University and...
  • VA Illiana Facility Improvements - Danville IL
    Danville, Illinois's Veterans' Administration Facility was improved as part of Federal Project F-55. The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted interior and exterior painting and decoration work at buildings on the grounds. The project "carried authorization of $3,100 for materials and a quota of 24 workers."
  • Village Hall (former Post Office) - Morton IL
    Morton's historic former post office building was constructed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork (since relocated), served as a post office until the 1970s. It now serves as the Morton Municipal Building and Village Hall.
  • Wallace Bowl - Wilmette IL
    Today, The Wallace Bowl is now the home of the Park District's summertime Starlight Theatre, which provides a unique outdoor setting for musical and dramatic performances offered to the public free of charge. The WPA began construction in 1936 of an outdoor amphitheater at the Lakefront. This outdoor stage was officially dedicated as the Wilmette Outdoor Amphitheatre in 1946. The same space would later be named the Wallace Bowl in honor of Gordon Wallace, superintendent of parks from 1936-68. This project was made possible through the generosity of Charles H. Feltman, one of the commissioners of the Wilmette park district. It...
  • Washington Street Station Post Office - Naperville IL
    Naperville's historic Washington Street Station post office was constructed as the city's main post office in 1939-40. The post office now occupies space in the south side of the building, believed to be a later addition; a bank occupies the primary portion of the historic post office structure.
  • Wells High School Murals - Chicago IL
    Henry Simon painted a series of murals entitled "The Founding of McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois." The murals were intended for that institution but never installed. "The Circuit Rider," "Bishop McKendree at the Site of the College" and "Peter Aker's Prophecy" were painted in 1941 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project.  
  • Wentworth School Mural - Chicago IL
    This three-part mural "American Youth" by Florian Durzynski was completed with WPA Federal Art Project funds in 1937 and restored in 1999.
  • West Pullman School Murals - Chicago IL
    The West Pullman School was established in the late 19th century. During the 1930s, the WPA funded two murals for the school auditorium. The roughly 5' x 10' oil on canvas murals, by Ralph Christian Henriksen, are entitled "American Educational System" and "Americanization of Immigrants." The school closed at the end of the school year in 2013. Current status and future plans for the murals are unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Western Illinois University: Simpkins Hall - Macomb IL
    "Simpkins Hall is located just west of Sherman Hall, on the campus of Western Illinois University, and opened in 1939.   The building at that time was called the “Training School” or “Lab School.”  It was here that Western student teachers, under supervision, practiced teaching in classrooms with actual students.  It served as a training school, until the school moved to Horrabin Hall in 1968.  Today Simpkins Hall houses the Department of English and Journalism. ...What is historically unique about the construction of Simpkins Hall is that it was built during the Great Depression, a time when unemployment was rampant and construction...
  • White Pines State Park Structures - Mt. Morris IL
    White Pines State Park on Ogle County, Illinois, contains several CCC structures: "In 1933, with the Great Depression in full swing, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) sought to relieve the work needs of unemployed Americans. The National Park Service sought to work with state governments in an effort to meet those ends. Many of the projects the CCC was involved with were construction projects. The project at White Pines was originally meant to be the construction of a lodge building. From 1933 to 1939, two hundred men, many of them World War I veterans, worked on the State Park construction...
  • William T. Sherman Elementary School - Chicago IL
    A Public Works Administration grant, along with local tax revenues, funded the construction of Sherman Elementary School at West 51st Place and South Morgan Street in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood. It replaced the former Sherman School, built in 1884, that was located on the same site. The new, two-story, brick structure cost approximately $125,000 and included ten classrooms and a gymnasium. It was designed by Chicago Board of Education architect John Charles Christensen. The architectural style of the building, characterized by a low horizontal profile, wide window openings, and geometric brickwork patterns, is similar to that of many...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9