The former Mark Twain Memorial Bridge, spanning the Mississippi River between Hannibal, Missouri and Illinois, was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. A preserved portion of the old Mark Twain Memorial Bridge remains on the west bank of the… read more
This mural was originally a four-panel screen. Its three remaining panels, each 8′ x 4′, were restored in 2001.
The Melrose Park Library is located in the building that was previously the main post office for Melrose Park. In 2007 “Airmail” was rediscovered hidden by a drop ceiling. It was painted by Edwin Boyd Johnson in 1937 with funding… read more
“This building constitutes a cultural and recreational community center. It was constructed with a donation of site and of $40,000 by a citizen of Ashton and with the aid of the P.W.A. It provides a public library, a stack room,… read more
In February 1939, bids were collected by the city subway department to begin construction for the first section of the Milwaukee-Dearborn street subway system that would create a 3,322 foot section of the tunnel between Chicago and Haddon avenues (“Dearborn… read more
“With extensive funding available through Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, the park district began many park improvements, including the Montrose to Foster landfill extension. The plan for the extension included several buildings, and all of them were designed by E.V…. read more
Mound City National Cemetery was improved as part of Federal Project F-87 by the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA). The work done “included the resetting, realigning and cleaning of headstones … as well as the filling-in of sunken graves.”
Mt. Vernon Township high school was expanded during the 1930s with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The school’s original building B was supplemented by three new structures Buildings A, D, and E (a classroom building, an… read more
Emmanuel Viviano created these ceramic tile lunettes with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Located at Nancy Hill School in Aurora IL, the four ceramic tile lunettes are signed by Emmanuel Vivianno. The four lunettes are: Deer, Dear and… read more
"This abstract mural by Rudolph Weisenborn, made in 1939, is a treasured New Deal artifact located in Nettlehorst Elementary School in Chicago." (Flynn and Polese) The mural is entitled "Contemporary Chicago." "Rudolph Weisenborns mural at Nettelhorst Elementary shows his interest… read more
An unknown artist painted this oil on canvas mural, located in Room M284 of New Trier High School, in 1937 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The mural measures 8′ by 8’6″.
Frances Badger completed these two oil-on-canvas murals, entitled “Sailor with Spyglass” and “Treasure Island,” in 1936 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. They were originally painted for the Louis Stevenson Playground but have… read more
This fresco (overpainted with acrylic during restoration) by Ethel Spears was completed with FAP funds in 1936.
This sculpture was completed with FAP funds in 1936. The original ceramic tile has been lost.
Built in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps company quartered at Camp South Fork, the Parker Meadows Shelter is typical of “rustic” style trail shelters or fire guard shelters constructed on the National Forest during the period. Constructed along an… read more