Zoo Amphitheater, Oklahoma City
“The Zoo Amphitheater was the first project completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in Oklahoma City.
CCC Companies 875 and 895, consisting of about 400 young men of Oklahoma, lived in tents and later wooden barracks on the land north and south of Lincoln Park, adjacent to the amphitheater. Between 1933 and 1936, they laid the groundwork for the park, zoo, lake and this amphitheater. [Information obtained from the historical marker in front of the amphitheater]…
The amphitheater is large and will hold thousands of concert-goers. The sloped theater has native rock terracing, with wide grass areas where people can sit on blankets or chairs.” (waymarking.com)
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJM4M_Zoo_Amphitheater_Oklahoma_City_OK http://thezooamphitheatre.com/history-okcs-zoo-amphitheatre Barton, Marjorie, and Bob Burke. 2008. Leaning on a Legacy: The WPA in Oklahoma. Oklahoma City, OK: Oklahoma Heritage Association.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on December 9, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE