Mormon farmers excavated the Pine Creek Irrigation Canal at the turn of the century, using water from Pine Creek to irrigate farmland on the west side of the Virgin River near Bridge Mountain. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built new headworks in 1934. The CCC used a 15-foot sandstone boulder as an anchor to draw water directly from the Virgin River 1/4 mile upstream from the Pine Creek, conveying the water over Pine Creek in a flume. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding.
Wayne Hinton (with Elizabeth Green): With Picks, Shovels & Hope: The CCC and Its Legacy in the Colorado Plateau. Missoula, MT: Mountain Press Company (2008).
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on August 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE