York Street Subway Station
The Sixth Avenue trunk line of New York City’s Independent Subway (IND) was constructed during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. In January 1936, four subway stations opened in southern Manhattan, part of a $17.3 million project that extended the subway from Washington Square to the Lower East Side. Construction of the Rutgers Street tunnel enabled further extension of the line to York Street in Brooklyn. The York Street subway station opened April 9, 1936.
"La Guardia Opens New Subway Link"; The New York Times, January 2, 1936. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND_Sixth_Avenue_Line
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE