Wyandotte High School
“Wyandotte originally existed as a school in several forms and locations. First it was as the old Riverview Grade School and 7th and Pacific from 1886-1887. Then it was the Palmer Academy building between 6th & 7th and Minnesota from 1888-1898. Next it was located at 9th and Minnesota and called Kansas City High School. Kansas City High School was built in 1899. The school’s name was officially changed to Wyandotte High School on January 3, 1928. Wyandotte HS stood at 9th and Minnesota until it was destroyed by fire in March 1934.
“After the fire, the new Wyandotte High School was built at 25th & Minnesota under President Franklin D Roosevelt’s WPA Plan. It was completed in 1937 at a cost of $2 million. The new building could house 3,000 students in 85 classrooms and could provide a staff of 90 faculty members. The new gym could seat 1,900 and the new auditorium 1,800.”
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on January 26, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE