WPA sidewalk stamp - Oakland CA
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built concrete sidewalks, curbs and gutters all over the city of Oakland, including here on Clifton Street in the Rockridge neighborhood. There is a sidewalk stamp reading “W.P.A. 1940” in the gutter at the corner of Boyd Street, which means the WPA built the curbs and gutters along this stretch of Clifton. Stamps indicating the paving company were common practice in the first half of the 20th century.
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on December 28, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE