Presbyterian Mission Church markerHand-carved WPA marker on display at the Manoogian Museum, Mackinac Island
On display at the second floor of the Soldiers’ Barracks of Fort Mackinac is one of many “incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage,” that were hand-carved by WPA artisans. This example, “Built 1829 // Presbyterian Mission Church To The Indians,” was carved by J. W. Miximong. The carver’s name and ‘WPA’ are inscribed.
"Upper Peninsula of Michigan: A History," by Russsell M. Magnaghi (pg. 166)
"Man rescues pieces of Mackinac Island's past," by Annette Kingsbury. (Newspaper article on display at Stuart House City Museum, Mackinac Island, MI)
"Rochester Hills man restores historic Mackinac Island signs," by Alexa Bray. The Oakland Press.
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/article/OP/20120512/NEWS/305129948 (accessed Nov. 11, 2017)
Personal visits by Evan Kalish, Oct. 5, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 24, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE