Sculpture, Woodminster Amphitheater - Oakland CA
The Woodminster Amphitheater design is Art Deco (Moderne) by Edward Foulkes. This is especially clear in the appearance of the south facade, which looms over the cascade and the rest of the park (though now somewhat shrouded by untrimmed trees).
The capitals of the inward columns have capitals with lion-head reliefs and the two outer flanking columns are topped by human torsos. Lower down, on the sides of the facade, are two bas-relief panels. The name of the amphitheater is inscribed along the top. There are also decorative element on the ceiling of the corridor below.
The design of the sculptures and bas-reliefs is almost surely by Foulkes himself, but further confirmation is needed.
The sculptures were funded in 1939 by the Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) – both absorbed into the reorganized Federal Works Agency later in 1939.
There are two forgotten bas-reliefs sitting against an abandoned storage shed a hundred yards uphill of the amphitheater; these appear to be by the same hand as those on the exterior of the amphitheater.
Project originally submitted by New Deal Art registry on July 22, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE