WPA workers completed several improvement projects at West Queen Anne Playfield between 1936 and 1939. The largest of these projects was the construction of a combination shelter house, grandstand, and baseball backstop near the intersection of West Blaine Street and 2nd Avenue West, at what was then the southwest corner of the playfield. Work on this one-story, concrete structure was completed in 1937. During the following year, WPA laborers painted the shelter house, regraded the baseball field, and added a new layer of top soil. This was followed in 1939 by the installation of a new water and drainage system, a running track and fence around the field, and lights for nighttime sports events. The shelter house structure was demolished in the early 1970s, when the playfield was expanded to the west and reconfigured.
"Queen Anne Playfield." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed January 2, 2017. http://clerk.seattle.gov/~F_archives/sherwood/QueenAnnePF.pdf Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on January 23, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE