West High in Nashville, Tennessee circa 1953
West End Middle School in Nashville, Tennessee was originally erected as a High School with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). West End was constructed in Colonial Revival style, with 35 classrooms, 8 of which were science labs. The “horizontal, three-story central block” and “soaring 122-foot high cupola” was described as a west Nashville landmark (Van West, 2001, p. 103). The building also contained a library, cafeteria, gymnasium, and auditorium with 63×28 foot stage. It was converted to use as a middle school in recent years.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE