Then known as the West Chester State Teachers College, West Chester University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $240,924 grant for the project, whose final cost was $770,533. Construction occurred between February 1938 and May 1939. (PWA Docket No. [W]1873.)
Seven buildings were constructed on the campus, including a library addition, dormitory, laundry, and heating plant. The present status of these structures is unknown to Living New Deal.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36. "Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011. https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=578234
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE